Anyone have any suggestions?

I need to go there soon

cblinton@blueyonder.
16th Nov 2005, 18:31
Mono

Shennington is fairly near (Gliding site) but you could give them a ring:ok:

topcat450
16th Nov 2005, 18:40
Shotteswell is lovely and only just up the road. :)

All grass so I don't know how well it's coped with the recent wet spell - but easy to find and should be plenty long enough for your machine.

egbt
16th Nov 2005, 18:41
Hinton in the Hedges if you want a hard runway (also Grass).

Shotteswell (Church Farm) is closest.

Both in AFE

muffin
16th Nov 2005, 18:58
Definitely Shotteswell. Easy to find and a short taxi ride straight down the main road beside it to Banbury.

Monocock
16th Nov 2005, 19:23
Thanks all.

I'll be heading there:ok:

cadaha
17th Nov 2005, 00:17
Easy to find and a short taxi ride straight down the main road beside it to Banbury.

Cool!!, you can taxi from the airfield right into Banbury??? :E

newswatcher
18th Nov 2005, 11:35
cadaha, if you did that, you just might make Banbury cross!:D

muffin
18th Nov 2005, 12:05
Only if you have short wings. The gap between the traffic bollards is a bit tight as you go into the town.

Tango Oscar
18th Nov 2005, 12:15
The Beauty of a Europa - You can take the wings off !!

Monocock
18th Nov 2005, 14:31
It's not looking hopeful at the mo':(

The owner doesn't seem tyo be around and I can't find anyone who knows the place so that I might be able to call someone else for PPR.

Any ideas welcome

(Shenington insist on a ground visit before a flying visit so no luck there either)

egbt
18th Nov 2005, 15:02
Mono

2005 AFE Guide says of Shotteswell "PPR NOT required, considerate visitors wellcome at own risk"

Stong warnings about 09/27 but 15/33 no probs except for hedges

Hinton remains an option but a little further out

Monocock
18th Nov 2005, 15:19
If it says PPR not required I shall go for it then.

Thanks

Mariner9
18th Nov 2005, 15:39
Going to Shotts myself on Monday Mono to get some AD's attended to on my carbs. When were you thinking of going?

muffin
18th Nov 2005, 15:59
I don't think you need PPR there. It is leased now by Skydrive and they have visitors in there all the time for service jobs etc. Just use the runway parallel to the road - the other one is quite short.

Monocock
18th Nov 2005, 16:34
M9 - Tomorrow morning!

muffin - The long one (W/E) is 403 metres I believe. The REALLY long one (N/S) is apparently 853m. Where's the short one?;)

Brooklands
18th Nov 2005, 16:47
Mono,

As the others say I don't think you need PPR. I remember going in there a few years ago with a friend, and he didn't call anybody for PPR before hand. I think that its now owned (or at least operated) by the people who import Rotax engines and the EV97 Eurostar, so you could try the contact numbers on the SkyDrive website (http://www.skydrive.co.uk/sd_hp.asp).

I pretty sure that the information in Lockyears is out of date, as they advocate contacting Heyford Radar for a flight information service!! Unfortunately I don't keep my (uptodate) flight guide at work otherwise I'd PM you the contact info from it.

Brooklands

QDMQDMQDM
18th Nov 2005, 18:33
Big vote for Shotteswell from me. Nice strip, friendly people.

Hairyplane
20th Nov 2005, 18:45
I keep my Robin there.

Main runway is 15/33 and beautifully manicured. The strip is founded on ironstone and not clay so never gets waterlogged.

Tis true that PPR is not required by the operator but please - no circuit bashing and avoid overflying our local villages. Some local fliers do take liberties....

I live quite close. If you are planning to fly in I will happily collect and return you by road if I'm around.

I can also bring some 100ll if you need it.

Failing that I can also tell you how to hoof it out of the strip to Shotteswell village and where to wait for a cab. Cherwell Cars is the biggest local cab co. I don't have the number to hand.

Call me on 07717 804085 if you need any help.

Hairyplane

Mariner9
21st Nov 2005, 17:07
Attempted Shotts today, over mist most of the way, but a large clear "hole" from Wellesbourn onwards seemed promising. Unfortunately the "hole" ended about 2 miles from Shotts :mad:

Ended up diverting to Enstone, and after hanging around for an hour or so with no sign of improvement, flew back home again.

Might try again tomorrow, Hairyplane, would you mind if I gave you a call tomorrow for a METAR? :O