PDA

View Full Version : PHP format

PPRuNe Pop
16th Nov 2005, 13:05
I have downloaded a file I need but it is in PHP format and I find that I cannot open it. I have found references to it but how to use it - nothing.

Anyone help please.

PPP

spannersatcx
16th Nov 2005, 13:18
is php not something to do with a webpage, if so try IE or a webpage editor.

BOAC
16th Nov 2005, 13:23
Pop - try this site (http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=php) - it lists several possible programme types for 'php'.

FunkyMunky
16th Nov 2005, 14:27
A PHP file is kind of like an HTML (web page) file. The difference is, HTML files contain all the content and can be viewed straight in your browser, usually from any location. For example, if I download an HTML file containing a string of text, my browser will be able to show me that text no matter where I put the file, because it is stored within the file. PHP files on the other hand often (but not always) only contain code which relies on the server to generate the content, based on the code some other resource, for example a database. If you look to the top of your browser whilst in PPRuNe, you will see that the site uses php to generate the various different parts of the forum. The PHP code can be used to manipulate a database of all the forum posts, or something similiar, in order to generate the pages we see.

The PHP file might still have information other than server-side code in it though, because they can contain HTML code just like any HTML file, so try opening it in your browser. Otherwise, the code in the file will just try to reference a server which doesn't actually exist (unless you have a server with a PHP module installed on your machine ;) ).

Spinflight
16th Nov 2005, 20:26
As FM says it would be unusual for the entire file to be dynamic, i.e. server generated content so either try it in a web browser or go to view > source and you should get the gist of it.