PDA

View Full Version : JAR OPS Landing Wind Factor

TolTol
16th Nov 2005, 09:55
Hi all!

I have been reading up on JAR OPS for the CPL test and I'm a bit confused as to the meaning of JAR OPS 1.515. It states in para (B)2 that:

"Not more than 50% of the head-wind
component or not less than 150% of the tailwind
component"

is used when landing.

It then states in para (C)1 that:

"The aeroplane will land on the most
favourable runway, in still air"

So for my CPL test do I take wind into consideration? I would say yes and that (C)1 is used when planning a flight long in advance of the actual date eg, a scheduled flight, but I am unsure.

Thanks for any help on the boring subject:zzz:

RVR800
16th Nov 2005, 11:28
You should use wind data like that to calculate PERFORMANCE
as part of planning - you will cover this in the Perf exam....

TolTol
16th Nov 2005, 12:11
Thanks for the reply but I have already done the atpl's. I know how to use the wind and how to calculate TOD, LDR etc. But I just wanted to know when would part (C)1 be applicable.

Thanks.

Stan Evil
16th Nov 2005, 19:29
It depends if you're doing the planning before you get airborne or whether you're calculating performance in the cockpit having just got the weather as you approach your destination.

For the pre-flight planning you use zero wind and most favourable runway. The only time you take wind into account for landing before flight is if you may have to land on a shorter runway due crosswind. Then you check the figures for the best runway zero wind, and the short runway with wind applied.

Alex Whittingham
17th Nov 2005, 07:51
You haven't quoted the full paragraph which is:

(b) When showing compliance with subparagraph (a) above, an operator must take account of the following:

(1) The altitude at the aerodrome;
(2) Not more than 50% of the head-wind component or not less than 150% of the tailwind component; and
(3) The runway slope in the direction of landing if greater than +/-2%.

(c) When showing compliance with subparagraph (a) above, it must be assumed that:

(1) The aeroplane will land on the most favourable runway, in still air; and
(2) The aeroplane will land on the runway most likely to be assigned considering the probable wind speed and direction and the ground handling characteristics of the aeroplane, and considering other conditions such as landing aids and terrain. (See IEM OPS 1.515(c).)

Which means that, when considering your performance planning before flight, you have to consider the most limiting of both the still air and forecast wind conditions and, when you consider forecast wind, you must factor it to use only half the headwind and one and a half times the tailwind.

TolTol
17th Nov 2005, 08:51
All is clear now. Thanks guys:ok: