PDA

View Full Version : VFR at night in controlled airspace

Frunobulax
15th Nov 2005, 22:47
As far as I know, there are no VFR flights in UK in any airspace.
Quick poll: where is VFR at night in the controlled airspace accepted then, and where is not?

Poland: VFR permitted everywhere 24h a day.
AFAIK Germany too.
Portugal: prohibited entirely at night.

Anyone else?

Jerricho
15th Nov 2005, 22:49
It is permitted in Canada

15th Nov 2005, 23:19
It's allowed in Norway.

peuce
15th Nov 2005, 23:55
In Australia it's allowed ... NVFR ... Class 4 Instrument rating required.

PA-28-180
16th Nov 2005, 01:03
It's permitted in the U.S.

cortilla
16th Nov 2005, 02:08
Whilst not being completely kosher, it is tolerated in the UK. Otherwise it would be impossible to get a night rating

Jerricho
16th Nov 2005, 04:11
Cort, isn't it actually SVFR?

I can't remember.

Frunobulax
16th Nov 2005, 06:36
As for Poland: 2 years ago VFR at night was not permitted in controlled airspace (except SAR flights and alike), while it was permitted in uncontrolled airspace; which I've always found quite absurd.

Right now VFR flights are permitted into controlled airspace (vis: 5km, clouds 500m) at night; we had a discussion at my unit and eventually agreed that they are SVFR at night.

RAC/OPS
16th Nov 2005, 06:42
UK: SVFR in CTR's, in other CAS must be IFR

TheOddOne
16th Nov 2005, 07:47
RAC/OPS

Spot-on. I think a lot of people are confused about the meaning of IFR flight outside controlled airspace.

1. Above MSA
2. If above 3,000' fly quadrantal rule.

Rules of the Air Regs 1996, 29 & 30 for the details

My understanding is you don't need a flight plan, you don't need an ATC service.

Seems quite straightforward to me. Keep high enough to avoid bumping into fixed objects you can't see. Keep below 3,000' if you want to bimble about looking at all the pretty lights (my favourites are the trains...)

Anything I've missed?

Next week, 'VMC on Top', another UK no-no.

Cheers,
The Odd One

Gargleblaster
16th Nov 2005, 07:59
Night-VFR is permitted in Denmark in all airspaces.

Conditions:

PIC must have NightVFR rating

AC must be Night-VFR approved

Visibility above 8km

No clouds below 1500'

If not local flight and above 3000' in any airspace, must have radio contact with appropriate service, XPonder mode C, send ICAO flightplan, 45mins fuel reserve and alternates planned.

Actually going flying tonight, it'll be a starry, starry night with a full moon ! Howl, where did all this hair come from ? :-)

yonash
17th Nov 2005, 06:40
Allowance of NVFR in Poland is actually fun.
Since last year they have been allowed, within controlled airspace, with the minima 5km/450m, while... SVFR night minima are 5km/500m with exception for helicopters: 3km/300m :)

This actually shows difference between Polish CAA [responsible for 5/450 minima] and the transportation ministry [other minima]. Anyway: it is allowed.

There're no problems in G airspace, as we have only class C ang G in Poland.

Frunobulax
17th Nov 2005, 10:49
That's why I treat ever VFR in C lass at night as a SVFR.

Inverted81
17th Nov 2005, 11:13
My understanding as others have siad in the UK
Inside a CTR a/c must be SVFR. Aircraft OCAS can only fly IFR although they will be in VMC (the uk night rating)
aircraft must also remain clear of cloud and in sight of the surface...

CAP493
17th Nov 2005, 15:29
To clarify the UK position, valid until the revised airspace classifications (ICAO) come on stream.

In Class G airspace: daytime, VFR or IFR; night-time IFR (as has been said, VMC at night is tolerated but there's no allowance for VFR)

In Class D airspace: daytime, VFR, SVFR or IFR; night-time SVFR or IFR

In Class A airspace: daytime and night-time, SVFR or IFR

:)

PPRuNe Radar
17th Nov 2005, 15:34
In Class D airspace: daytime, VFR, SVFR or IFR; night-time SVFR or IFR

In Class A airspace: daytime and night-time, SVFR or IFR

Unless they are CTAs of course !!

Standard Noise
17th Nov 2005, 18:11
I know of somewhere in the UK where they can't be SVFR at night (cos unit rules don't permit it) so what does that make them if they aren't IFR?
Where is Tower Ranger to explain these things when he's needed!?

mm_flynn
17th Nov 2005, 18:27
My understanding (from the pilot side) of the rules for night flight in the UK are

It is IFR, except it can be SVRF in a Control Zone.

However, my understanding of IFR also is that in Class G airspace (and logically in an ATZ in class G)
IFR is -
quadrantals above 3000 ft
1000 ft above highest obstacle within 5 miles (or on a notified route/procedure/etc.)
The 1000 ft restriction is removed when at less than 3000 ft MSL and clear of clouds in sight of the surface.

Therefore, doing circuits (day or night) could be in compliance with IFR and there would be no observable difference to VFR circuits.

LN-ATC
17th Nov 2005, 20:55
It's allowed in Norway.
Well, only sort of...

BSL F, kap II, § 2-2 (http://www.lovdata.no/for/sf/sd/xd-20030207-0252.html#2-2) (in Norwegian.)

The basic rule: All flights during night shall be IFR.

Norwegian CAA may give permissions for a series of VFR night flights, and local ATC may give permissions for single VFR night flights.

It is the pilot's responsibility to grant permissions from all involved ATC units before taking off. (But they rarely do... :*)

IFR is seperated from VFR night in D/E, VFR night is not seperated from VFR night in D/E.

Only reasons for rejecting VFR night request are high traffic load and weather situation.

In other words, VFR night is permitted in Norway. :)

OnRoute
20th Nov 2005, 17:25
Finland: Ok if no clouds below 2000ft and visibility at least 8km. Pilot must hold NF rating and aircraft must be approved and equipted for night flight.

-OnRoute-

Riverboat
20th Nov 2005, 21:49
Usual cock-up by the British. Not allowing VFR at night is ridiculous, as you can often navigate a lot easier at night than by day when VMC. Making it mandatory IFR at night means that all sorts of exceptions and exclusions to the standard IFR rules have to be introduced, so that, in the end, you CAN fly VFR at night, but you can't call it that.

Time it was changed.

foghorn
21st Nov 2005, 06:48
And what's more, I'd vouch that the majority of pilots who rely on a night qualification for their night privileges (i.e. members of the PPL community) do not understand the flight rules under which they are operating at night, and don’t appreciate the subtlety of having to switch to IFR in VMC at SS+30 outside CAS. Although pointing out the flight rules is on the night qualification syllabus, in my experience it’s not emphasised and is quickly forgotten, mainly because it naturally feels like you’re flying VFR at night – why should an inexperienced PPL think any differently?

On top of that, I've even heard ATC units asking civvy aircraft if they are VFR or IFR after the onset of night.

Time it got sorted out properly maybe instead of our current quaintly British compromise? If it walks like VFR and quacks like VFR surely it is VFR? Are there any other reasons for having the current set up outside CAS?

Tweety
27th Nov 2005, 21:31
VFR at night is basically an accident waiting to happen, should alsways be IFR, nothing else