PDA

View Full Version : The usual question - Best options

deltauniform
15th Nov 2005, 22:01
Hi all,

Im 16 currently living in Ireland, and in my final year of secondary school where I will then sit my Leaving Certificate (more or less the Irish equivalent of A levels).

I've always wanted to be a pilot, and as the time draws closer to finishing school, Im assessing all my options. I've been browsing around the forum for a few hours now getting information etc, but some threads are contradicting others and stuff like that, so I thought Id make my own thread.

Basically, I'm adamant on becoming a pilot.. yes, I understand how hard and frustrating it can be to get into the profession, but as many have said, it definitely seems like a career that makes it all worthwhile.

Anyway, I've thought about it now, and have come up with three options that I'm thinking of.

1. Take a year out after my exams and get a job to (hopefully) fund PPL training. After this, go to University and study Aeronautical Engineering whilst working to save up for "the loan".

2. After the exams, somehow try and get the money required for Oxford / Jerez (yes, this is the extremely unlikely to happen option!) off some nice person - possibly save my pocket-money up :rolleyes:

3. Apply to the Air Corps (Irish Air Force).. the neutralness of our country means spaces are very limited for this space (10 places this year out of 300 or so applications). (While Im at it, what are the stances of the RAF to Irish born pilots?)

So, basically its a career I desperately want, and Im determined to do everything in my power to achieve the goal.

Anyway, I would appreciate it if you could answer would it be better to go to uni and get a degree in something than going straight to Oxford or whatever with a hefty loan? (If only we were rich, eh? :{ )

Thanks in advance,

D.U.

Chrishammersley
15th Nov 2005, 22:30
Hi deltauniform, I’m 19, I’m at Oxford. I’ve just finished phase 1 exams and waiting for results. I’m telling you this is one hard course! When I was at college I did a BTEC in sport and exercise science, as much help as a chocolate teapot. If I had my time again I would most defiantly do A level maths, physics, and electrics, the schools say you need gcse level, but by the time you've reached the flight school it could be 2 years since you've looked at ohms law balls, or how to re arrange equations!
I didn't go to uni, as I felt it was choice between putting off training and potentially earning money, or doing a degree, which at the end of the day wont necessarily help me become a pilot. As with getting a loan, hsbc were very helpful with me, plus the bank of mum and dad were handy! Hope this helps at all.
Chris

deltauniform
16th Nov 2005, 17:11
Thanks for the reply Chris, Ill bear that one in mind :)

Good luck with the results,

D.

scroggs
17th Nov 2005, 06:39
The British services accept Irish nationals. This is a unique arrangement, based on the fact that Eire was once part of the United Kingdom.

Your other questions have been answered several times on this forum.

Scroggs