PDA

View Full Version : I won't pay!!

salin
14th Nov 2005, 23:40
Is there a list of airlines where you don't have to pay for a type rating?
Done the usual search but couldnt find anything recent. I hope it does'nt mean every airline charges you :( (BA/Virgin excepted of course)

jamielatham
16th Nov 2005, 21:22
Most airlines will get the money off you in the end, in some cases, they ask for a 'bond', where you pay just say £25,000, but you get a decrease for a certain time in your salary.

This is to protect themselves, i.e you could just traing with them to get the type rating for free then bugger off!, they have to do it to protect themselves...

Hope this helps, not what you wanted to hear..

Jay

salin
17th Nov 2005, 07:11
Thanks for the reply Jay.

After a bit of research it looks like I don't have much choice anyway :( .

redout
17th Nov 2005, 20:47
Salin, what you have said with regard to BA about not having to pay for you type rating is not correct. Although not 100% sure myself, i do know that you are on a reduced wage for X amount of years. So in effect you are paying for your type rating with BA. I cannot comment on Virgin.

Craggenmore
18th Nov 2005, 09:12
At BA it is (or it was) £100 per month for 5 years. My GF has just paid her last installment.............

Ropey Pilot
18th Nov 2005, 09:26
You don't have to pay at BA if you are a DEP (and Virgin won't look at you with less than 2500 hours and a type over 25 tonnes so BA still the better bet for a 'free' rating), so if you are that worried, get a job with a regional operator (with considerably cheaper type rating) and apply to BA when you have 500 hours.

As has been said you will be v. lucky to get away with no payment in the current climate - this may change if airlines seek less experienced candidates, but how long can you afford to be out of the job (looks less impressive if you haven't flown for 12 months when the jobs do come up).

Also look at the package - what is free? Do you join as a SO/FO on reduced salary till you have 2 years with the company then get upgraded to FO/SFO. Compared to a direct entry at the 'standard' FO pay this is stilll a form of payment to join/pay for your type.

Also are you only willing to accept a jet job stright out of the box? I don't know your background and whether you are currently working air taxi for example, and I don't intend to repeat (in depth anyway) what has been said a million times on Proon already - but there are a large number of people here who condider anything less than a 737 as a poor choice and a large Turbo Prop as an absolute minimum. Cessna caravans aren't normally flown for pleasure (ie pilots are employed), won't require a type-rating either!