PDA

View Full Version : London Aviation

cadaha
14th Nov 2005, 21:31
Hi

Anyone heard of London Aviation. Considering going there for PPL and Hours building prior to BGS and CPL.

Costs quoted are below.

25 hours dual flying ……………………… $ 4,000.00
15 hours Solo flying ……………………. $ 1,800.00
10 hours Ground school / Briefings……… . $ 400.00
Cessna computerized training kit ………… . $ 299.00
FAA Written Test ……………………… $ 80.00
FAA Medical …………………………….. $ 75.00
Books / Study material ………………… ... $ 20.00
Flight Test ( including aircraft rental )…… $ 345.00

Total: ……………… $ 7,019.00 41 hours logged

Check out on C 150 ( $80.00 + $40.00) $ 120.00 42 hours logged

Hour Building on C 150 ( 103hours ) … $ 8,734.40 145 hours logged

JAA Familiarization training ( 3hours ) $ 480.00 148 hours logged
( C172) )

JAA Conversion ………………………… $ 580.00 150 hours logged
( includes 2 hour A/C rental + 2writtens+ Test fee)

Total : ………………..$ 16,933.40

Visa administrative cost………………………$ 150.00

Airport transfer fees ………………………….$ 160.00 *
( Based on 2 students sharing)

Total Cost of package $ 17,243.40

Any advice greatly appreciated

Sans Anoraque
15th Nov 2005, 09:48
Any advice greatly appreciated
Are you new to this or just mad?

I'd suggest you have another little look around. And here's a tip, if you do a JAA PPL in the States, you don't need to convert when you get back.

$17,000? Try $7,000

Paragon
15th Nov 2005, 10:06
10 hours Ground school / Briefings……… . $ 400.00

You'll need a lot more than 10 hrs ground school to get through the PPL I would have thought.

If you want a job in the UK, then it is imperative that you do some flying in the UK. At the prices you give, ie $85 hr you could easily find an aircraft in the UK for the same price for a 100 hrs. Then you could get to know UK airspace/rules/airfield plus take your friends and family up to share costs, plus you can use the oppourtunity to check out UK commercial schools. Don't do it all in the US.

cadaha
15th Nov 2005, 10:26
Yeh, I hear you. I want to do it in the UK for the reasons you mention. It's just that the cost of the hours building is expensive. Might be worth doing the PPL here and then some hours building in the US, France, Spain etc.

Probably do half hours building then atpl ground school then the other half of the hours building.

As you all probably know us wannabees just want to keep the costs down, although I would perfer to do my training in the UK and find ways to keep the hours building costs down. Hopefully giving me the best of both worlds.

Intention is to go for Instructor/Air Taxi (don't want to go for airline) etc so UK flying and training is important to me.

:ok:

Charlie Zulu
15th Nov 2005, 11:17
If you are looking to do half of the hours building before the ATPL course and then the other half after the exams, please consider doing an hour or two every couple of weeks just to remind yourself why you are undergoing the intense studying for the ATPL exams...

Also something to bear in mind is that you require 700 hours total time to be eligible to fly single pilot IFR Air Taxi operations.

cadaha
15th Nov 2005, 11:35
Thanks for that info. The hard part is probably obtaining a balance between studying for the ATPL Ground School and keeping flying skills up to scratch.

It would be great if there was a possibility of working at a company that provides training and air taxi that way I could instruct until I reach 700 hrs then I could split between instructing and air taxi. But in the real world that probably won't happen. I have been an instructor in the Military and a PADI Diving instructor and loved instructing but it is also nice to be able to vary that with other tasks.

Are there FTOs out there that also provide Air Taxi/Charter services?

Paragon
15th Nov 2005, 17:45
cadaha,
Yeh, I hear you. I want to do it in the UK for the reasons you mention. It's just that the cost of the hours building is expensive.

I was trying to make you realise that you can actually hour build in the UK cheaper than in the States if you look hard enough.

There are aircraft around for £40 hour and you don't have to fly to the States. And I don't mean homebuilts or group aircraft. I mean flying club PA38s or C150s. Look in the back of Pilot and FLyer and tell them you want 100 hrs...

Charlie Zulu
15th Nov 2005, 18:27
Cadaha,

I know Bristol Flying Centre do just that...

That is commercial training and an air taxi operation.

cadaha
15th Nov 2005, 21:24
Paragon
There are aircraft around for £40 hour and you don't have to fly to the States.
Thanks I'll have a look. Uk experience is what I want, x wind landings and UK ATC knowledge.

Charlie Zulu
I know Bristol Flying Centre do just that... That is commercial training and an air taxi operation.
Thank, it will be a while before I'm ready for that but it's good to know that there are companies that combine serveral different aspects of aviation. Sounds just what I would be looking for.

:ok: