PDA

View Full Version : UK or Spanish CPL, is their a difference?

too_sleepy
14th Nov 2005, 10:31
Hi
Now my ATPL exams are out of the way and my hour building is going well I'd like to spend some time looking for a school for my CPL.
I had always thought I'd choose Jerez modular course. It comes in at 27,000 Euros and includes accomadation and food. I reckoned for a few beers and a few extra hours of training plus the skills test it might come to 32,000 for the three months.

A few months ago that looked good, now that I'm closer to handing over my hard earned cash I'm becomming a bit of a tight arse. For one thing it leaves **** all money for my MCC and type rating.

I could do my CPL in a good UK school for about 8,000 euros and my multi-IR in another Spanish school for baout 8,000. Adding accomadation in Spain this is about 18,000-20,000. Now that's a big difference. Is Jerez really worth an extra 10,000 ot 12,000 euros? I could do it even cheaper if I do a Spanish CPL, how is a Spanish CPL/Multi-IR regarded? If it's a JAA license does it matter?

Now I'm ranting, basically if the school offers good instruction so my actual pilot abillity after the course is not drastically different to Jerez, is it worth it. Should I pay moe for a UK CPL?

This dmm business will wreck your head.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mad_jock
14th Nov 2005, 11:17
I don't think you can cross over the ground exams or your medical to the spanish system

If you have a UK Medical and UK exam passes you have to do the UK CPL course after you have been issued that you can add the IR rating in any JAR state in theory. Thier has been a slight change with the Irish CAA on this but thats about it.

I wouldn't bother looking to save money going abroad for this stage in your training. If you want to work in spain do the spanish course if you want to work in the UK do your training in the UK and Jerez i am counting as UK . By having a spanish license your just giving them another excuse to chuck your CV in the bucket.