PDA

View Full Version : US Navy C40s

captain cumulonimbus
13th Nov 2005, 13:24
Hi all.

This is one for all the good folks of the US Navy...What callsigns do your C40s use? I'm sure i saw one the other day over Africa,but not 100%,though it was using a "reach" callsign.i thought that was USAF only?

Any info would be great!

Keep up the good work guys.
Cb

Check 6
13th Nov 2005, 15:40
Cb, in Europe and Africa they use "JMXXX" or "VVJMXXX."

The USAF also flies C-40's and they use the Reach callsign.

Carbide Finger
13th Nov 2005, 17:48
They usually call themselves Navy Juliet Mike XXX if this helps.

Check 6
13th Nov 2005, 18:05
CF, we rarely use "Navy" in our call sign, except when going into a USAF airfield - just to have fun with them.

Mostly we just say "Juliet Mike XXX." The VV is used for clarification occasionally, as it means USN. In the six years that I have been flying out of Italy I do not believe I have ever used the VV, but ATC use it sometimes when calling us.

Cheers

captain cumulonimbus
13th Nov 2005, 21:15
Awesome CHECK 6,thanks a lot.I believe it might have been an Air Force C40 then,there was a C-17 accompanying it on frequency and i think they both had "reach" callsigns.i never knew the USAF had C40s thats why i guessed it must be Navy,though i just checked earlier this evening and saw they have recently got the C40B with winglets.

Anyway,thanks for the info,and from a Civillian plane driver,i'd like to compliment all US military aviators on the great ambassadors they are for aviation.i've met lots of ANG guys and a few Navy and Marines pilots down here in SA and they're a great bunch.
Cheers,Cb.