PDA

View Full Version : Mil transport a/c crashes in Afghanistan

Jordan D
11th Nov 2005, 08:19
Apparent Breaking News on BBC Online here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4427546.stm)

Jordan

PPRuNeUser0211
11th Nov 2005, 09:24
BBC now reporting it as "a soviet built transport plane", not a herc.... thoughts with anyone involved

Paterbrat
11th Nov 2005, 09:40
Don't know of any Soviet C-130's?

Engineer
11th Nov 2005, 11:00
AN12 cargo planes operates in and out of Kabul. There was an incident earlier this year when some crew were injured after tyres had burst on the landing roll.

Thor Nogson
11th Nov 2005, 11:16
Reuters are reporting this as an IL-76, chartered by Ariana Afgan Airlines, so should this be moved back to Rumours and News?

Edited text below:
--
Russian cargo plane crashes into Afghan mountains and all 10 on board killed

A Russian cargo aircraft crashed into mountains near the Afghan capital Friday and all 10 people on board were killed, officials said.
Bad weather was believed to have played a role in the crash, said Ghulam Rasool, a police commander at the crash site, which was being lashed with rain and was covered in low clouds as rescuers and local villagers searched for bodies.

An International Security Assistance Force spokeswoman said the plane had 10 people on board when it came down about 30 kilometres (20 miles) northwest of Kabul.

An official in the Kabul airport's air control tower told AFP the aircraft was a four-engine Ilyushin IL-76 cargo plane that had been chartered by Ariana Afghan Airlines, the national carrier.

"The plane hit a mountain. It has crashed and been destroyed completely, smashed into pieces," the ministry official said.
"We don't know who the plane belonged to but we are still investigating," he said.

ALLDAYDELI
11th Nov 2005, 12:58
Any news yet of the the owner was? Who was Ariana using? Another very sad loss.

CargoOne
11th Nov 2005, 14:46
Several sources saying it was IL76 Georgian-registered, 4L-ZIL.
Until this morning it was operating for Royal Airlines (Pakistan) on a wetlease, exUSSR crewed.

Jordan D
11th Nov 2005, 16:34
Apologies for the earlier incorrect title posting .... was quoting off BBC News ....

Jordan

Thor Nogson
11th Nov 2005, 18:37
Ok, it sounds like it was transporting military equipment, but the aircraft and crew weren't military were they?

I still think this is in the wrong forum - apologies if I have this wrong.

16 blades
11th Nov 2005, 21:41
?????? BBC idiots. Caused much consternation for us earlier today with their amateurish and inaccurate reporting. Exactly what I've come to expect of them, frankly.

16B

Training Risky
11th Nov 2005, 21:57
Since when did mouth-breathing journos ever let the facts get in the way of a story?:mad:

petitfromage
11th Nov 2005, 22:37
Im sorry, but Im 100% with 16B.
The particular journalist should be dismissed.
He/she has taken half ar$sed info, added some spin and potentially caused mu grief & anguish to family& friends of C130 crews.
Their Editor should know better too.

Perhaps another boycott of the BBC should be in order?!

Engineer
12th Nov 2005, 06:50
As the news article states "Initial reports had said the plane was a C-130 transport plane"

This was also reported in other news media on the web and not just confined to the BBC.

As for incorrect reporting causing consternation maybe this could be alleviated by using the check don't assume method. Do they still teach that in the military?

Michael Edic
12th Nov 2005, 07:52
Engineer,
If you mean "don't assume check" then yes they do. However, I'm sure you can appreciate that it takes time to check and that between the initial report and the confirmation all those with loved ones in Afghanistan are going to be worried sick.

Mike

hobie
12th Nov 2005, 18:31
from ...... http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20051111-0

Accident description

Date: 11 NOV 2005
Time: 04:00
Type: Ilyushin 76MD
Operating for: Royal Airlines Cargo
Leased from: Global Georgian Airways
Msn / C/n: 0053464926
Year built: 1985
Crew: 8 fatalities / 8 on board
Passengers: 0 fatalities / 0 on board
Total: 8 fatalities / 8 on board
Airplane damage: Written off
Phase: En route (ENR)
Nature: Cargo
Departure airport: Kabul-Khwaja Rawash Airport (KBL)
Destination airport: Bagram AB
Flightnumber: 1102
Narrative:
The cargo plane was chartered to fly communications equipment for coalition forces from Bahrain to Kabul and U.S. military's air base at Bagram.
The flight may have been planned to continue to Sharjah as flight RPK 1102, with an planned arrival time of 13:00. Before reaching Bagram the Ilyushin cargo plane flew into the side of a hill and broke up, some 30 km northwest of Kabul

TAC Queen
12th Nov 2005, 22:34
Given the date tomorrow my thoughts are with the families of the crew of XV179.
To see a thread reporting another loss made me feel sick.
I have just watched the service of remembrance and had a drink to the friends and fellow service men we have lost this year.
I would like to say this
Jordan you were only reporting what you read
Engineer you are a complete w@nker
It doesn’t matter that you can investigate your self the initial read was enough to stop people in their tracks.
My thought go out to all those we have lost and to all who count country first.
Tac Queen

M609
13th Nov 2005, 08:19
Yet another sad loss.

Are the civilan flights stillrequired to fly 'VFR' in Afgan airspace? I've heard first hand accounts of ex USSR cargo crews flying IFR approaches to Bagram using a handheld GPS. (Has Bagram got ILS now, or just Tacan?)

RileyDove
13th Nov 2005, 20:04
I think you need to put this in context . A few years ago the RN Historic Flight lost the Firefly and her two crew members at Duxford. Within literally minutes of the crash the film was being shown on Sky News. The families of the crew had no warning - there was no chance that it could be anyone apart from their
family members dying in a most graphic way.
Now compare that to reports on the BBC of a 'C-130' aircraft
down in Afghanistan! There are literally hundreds in use around the world and the press often confuses an AN-12 with the same.
It would be great if the BBC could spend hours checking the finite
details - however it would then cease to be news. There is no good way of conveying bad news but I think the BBC acted with restraint when in reality by surfing the web for news a wide range of half baked or plain untruths could have been found
surrounding the same story.
The RAF clearly knows accurately the disposition of it's aircraft - very easy to press release a denial of involvement.

People love to turn on the BBC when they feel they are not following the party line - however if it wasn't for the work of
the BBC we would still believe that justifications for war were the work of the intelligence service and not just a young student's
work lifted off the internet.

Kalium Chloride
14th Nov 2005, 10:47
Think you're fighting a losing battle, RileyDove. Proon tends to bite the hand that feeds it - it quickly posts information, just to be the first to let others know, then blames the report it stole if other facts subsequently emerge. Posters here seem to think the BBC has a guy in a pinstripe suit at the crash site, deliberately feeding back duff information. You can't argue with that sort of naive stupidity.

patrick_peggs
14th Nov 2005, 17:02
Listen to all you SAD people commenting on other peoples deaths, have you nothing else better to do!!!!....BBC this BBC that...C130 this....C130 that...get a life.

Have no idea where you got that info from saying they still fly a hand held GPS approach into Bagram, where you there? did you see it with your own eyes, if not don't speculate, why would they when they can fly a GCA approach...Yes I do fly in Afghanistan and Bagram and Kandahar would love to help where ever needed to fly a GCA to avoid such accidents. No only TACAN in Bagram. Yes its all suppose to be VFR but if thats the case we would never leave the ground in winter, besides there is a VOR and ILS approach into Kabul now, at the end of the day if it doesn't feel right it probably isn't, no one is forcing you to fly in extreme conditions like this so if you don't want to take off DON'T.

M609
14th Nov 2005, 20:22
still fly a hand held GPS approach into Bagram

Did not say they still do it, did I? (If did, I'm sorry, English is not my first language) The account I refer to is a RNoAF EOD officer (and CPL pilot) riding jumpseat on a AN-12 flying on handheld into Bagram a little over a year ago. He was babysitting a load of explosives. I do not doubt his word one second.

Since I've had the honour of working that very airline on a different occation as a controller up here, I'd say the american GCA guys would have their work cut out!

There where other issues with that airline as well, regarding handlig of hot cargo. To put it this way, they no longer fly for the Norweigan MOD.