PDA

View Full Version : CD-ROM decided not to work

pilot_will
11th Nov 2005, 00:14
Hi,

ever since I installed Windows SP2 near'ish when it came out my CD-ROM drive has decided it doesn't want to work for some reason. (taken me a while to ask for help I know!) Doesn't open when I push the botton.

I've opend the computer up and had a look at the wires connecting it, they seem fine. There is power getting to the device because now and again it decides to show different colour lights at me, sometimes green, sometimes red and sometimes flashing red :confused:

Any help would be appreciated,

thank you. :ok:

Devlin Carnet
11th Nov 2005, 09:54
Hi,
Does it open if you go to explorer- cd drive- right click, eject?

pilot_will
11th Nov 2005, 10:46
For some reason the computer has forgotten all existence of the drive, in ‘My Computer’ there is just the DVD Rom drive there, which is keeping me going for now. I would try and install the drivers again although we got this PC as a package and so never saw the CD for this. I can’t even format the PC as they didn’t give me a CD for that.

Saab Dastard
11th Nov 2005, 17:24
Flashing red at you sounds ominous.

You can do some simple troubleshooting by swapping the power and data cables from the working DVD and seeing if the DVD works / CD works.

Try adding the device back in device manager.

Frankly I would just replace it - CD-ROM drives are so cheap now, you can probably get a faster CD-RW or DVD / CD-RW for less than £30.

Eject any CDs inside by inserting a straightened paper clip into the hole in the front of the drive to open it manually.

SD