View Full Version : Pilots have daughters!

captain cumulonimbus
10th Nov 2005, 20:14
Hi all.

Was reading in a medical journal in my doc's waiting room that,according to some study done in the USA,men in certain professions are predisposed to having children of a particular sex.In the article,they mentioned Airline pilots are more than 80% more likely to have daughters than the general population is.

They suggested it may be to do with exposure to more radiation.
Anyway,is this true? How many of you who are pilots have daughters? And your colleagues?

I don't foresee having kids for at least (hopefully) the next decade,but when i do,i'll know what to expect i guess!

Cheers,Cb:cool:

flapsforty
10th Nov 2005, 20:18
An old rumor - lately substantiated by statistical examinations from England - to the effect that pilots of high-performance military aircraft are "girl-fathers", could be reduced to absurdity through a comprehensive questionnaire investigation in the German Federal Armed Forces.

Spermiogenesis does not seem to be disturbed by professional-specific influences (Radar radiation, G-forces etc.), as implied by the questionnaire findings. In times of high flying and personal stress (first 1000 flying hours) military jet pilots are even "boy-fathers".
As soon as flying becomes a routine matter (after the 1000th flying hour) and thus less stressful, jet and helicopter pilots even become "girl-fathers".
The pilots of military transport aircraft show no deviation from the control group of the male population of the Federal Republic of Germany with respect to the sex ratio of children procreated by them.
The intention of this somewhat curious study was established by considerations that pilots would be entitled to protection and/or compensation for damages incurred in cases where their procreative capacity had been detrimentally affected by activities in the line of duty

tony draper
10th Nov 2005, 20:50
So,if the organism percieves the world as a dangerous rough place, it fathers Chaps,and if it sees the world a safe fluffy easy place, it fathers Girls? is that the protocol.?
Hmmm, hardly suprises one.
:rolleyes:

flyblue
10th Nov 2005, 21:11
The subject has already been raised on PPruNe and it has already been established that more or less 50% of the pilots with children have sons, wimin' included :E
You can still hold your breath :p

click
10th Nov 2005, 21:27
Which only proves one thing to me....I am officialy not a pilot:E

All my attempts at multiflipication have failed :E

Grandpa
10th Nov 2005, 21:31
Are you speaking about "women pilot"?

If not the correct formulation should be "pilot's wives" which give way to some doubt about statistics .........

TheStormyPetrel
10th Nov 2005, 21:58
Quite a discussion on it here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=142153)

Incipient Sinner
10th Nov 2005, 22:06
Since all you pilot types out there on the forum obviously have lots of young daughters, the real question is...

Can I have their phone numbers?

Photo supplied on the photo thread, only pretty young things with a zest for life need apply ;)

ehwatezedoing
10th Nov 2005, 23:15
They are too young so....Get ready for my foot print in your nuts.

:E

Send Clowns
10th Nov 2005, 23:20
:eek: I don't have any daughters I know about! :ooh:

Onan the Clumsy
11th Nov 2005, 01:11
wait a minute, for pilots to have daughters, they would have had to have had sex at least once...

Blacksheep
11th Nov 2005, 01:25
We have four daughters and no sons. I'm not a pilot but have suffered long exposure to aeroplanes, including parts of them that other beers can't reach.

I often wondered if severe diurnal disturbance has anything to do with it - i.e. shift work or jet-lag. It might be interesting to redo that survey, dividing the pilots into long haul (diurnally disturbed 'heavy iron' drivers) and short haul (Home every night or fighter jocks). We could even include maintenance people and cabin crew too.

mooguy
11th Nov 2005, 05:18
I remember reading several articles about this in the past,( and I must say I have encountered a larger than average amount of pilots who do have daughters)

Anyway, one reason I read is that pilots sit down so much, that the scrotum heats up, therefore the xx chromosomes (girl causing ones) become much hardier and more likely to succlessfully make the journey to fertilise an egg than the xy or boy ones.

Or in other words, as we know, female sperm are much tougher, hence in less than ideal circumstances will be the only ones to actually make it thru to conception, compared to the weaker male sperm which only survive when circumstances are optimum.

Always said we girls are tougher and more resilient than the guys!

MadsDad
11th Nov 2005, 07:46
for pilots to have daughters, they would have had to have had sex at least once...

And with someone else present.........

Parapunter
11th Nov 2005, 08:20
Spermiowhatanesis??? Nice dragon falps.

One has known a few pilots daughters over the years & one has yet to be dissapointed.:E

chuckT
11th Nov 2005, 09:25
I've had a pilots daughter...
:\

...And I have seen how a couple of pilots daughters behave, so from now on I am flying with a lead cup and a bag of ice... :rolleyes:

airship
11th Nov 2005, 11:12
Pilots have daughters!

Which is why we should thank Heaven, for little girls...

Paterbrat
11th Nov 2005, 11:17
Wanted daughter as well as son, what went wrong.:confused:

airship
11th Nov 2005, 11:38
To fcuk, or to be fcuked. That is the question... :O :uhoh:

Paterbrat
11th Nov 2005, 11:44
Tis nobler in the mind to suffer the sons and daughters of outrageous fourtune than to sleep, to sleep perchance to dream of what might have been, had I been a fast jet jock.

lasernigel
11th Nov 2005, 11:57
Takes an engineering type to make sons.Daughters are easy you've got the pattern in front of you.:ok:

Paterbrat
11th Nov 2005, 11:58
errr is that with reverse engineering??

Techman
11th Nov 2005, 12:01
As I understand it, it has to do with the range of the delivery vehicle.

VitaminGee
11th Nov 2005, 13:22
Lifted from the linked thread above:
I think the real reason is that the female chromozone sperm live longer than the male (male 24 hrs vs. female 72hrs). The male ones are faster so are more likely to reach the egg if intercourse is just after ovulation. However, pilots are not around every day of the week for intercourse ( I'm away on average 3 nights per week) therefore if you have sex 2-3 days before ovulation, the only sperm alive to reach the egg will result in a girl.

I have heard this theory before and, reflecting on the occasions of the conception of one daughter and one son, am a happy pilot who can endorse it!:ok:

VG

Paterbrat
11th Nov 2005, 13:35
I was told in A level Biology that the acidity or alkalinity of the medium through which the spermatazoa had to travel influenced the particular sucess of X or Y chromosome bearing swimmers.