PDA

View Full Version : Canberra de-mobbed

Beeayeate
10th Nov 2005, 16:01
WJ874, the RAF's last EE Canberra T.4 was de-mobbed yesterday. It has taken up a new civvy job with Air Atlantique at Coventry airport.

Having been "in" for 51 years (including an extended detachment with the Navy) it was flown by the sqn, on a beautiful sunny day, to its new employers.

I know it's only a T.4 but it did look good arriving over Cov resplendent in its all-over blue colur scheme representing the prototype VN799.

Couple of pictures here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=197672)

See also Air Atlantique's (http://www.classicflight.com/) Classic Flight web site.

Good one AA. :ok:

lightningmate
10th Nov 2005, 18:45
The Canberra T4 must rate as one of the worst ever aircraft to have been accepted into service by the RAF. Considering some of the real lulus that have been endured by RAF aircrew, that is saying something.

The CA Release Report from Boscombe, allegedly, stated:

Ingress into the Canberra T4 Cockpit is difficult - it should be made impossible!

I rest my case.

lm

speedbirdzerozeroone
10th Nov 2005, 22:21
The C check's gonna cost more than the aeroplane's worth. I'll await this one with sceptical (but hopeful) anticipation.

Now loading pigs onto a Trebuchet would be a whole lot easier....

Ps It was very late on arrival so perhaps the Marham boys were drawing straws or rolling dice. Or perhaps he just took a lot of persuading to hand the thing over....

Beeayeate
11th Nov 2005, 00:16
LM
The Canberra T4 must rate as one of the worst ever aircraft to have been accepted into service by the RAF.

You may be right . . . and yet over its time the RAF had 62 squadrons of the things and kept it for 54 years! ;)

They still have a couple flying . . .

speedthing
The C check's gonna cost more than the aeroplane's worth.

Why? Do you know something Air Atlantique don't?

I understand the reason the departure was delayed was because of a frisson of excitement on the runway at Marham involving a totally different kite. You know more?

Daysleeper
11th Nov 2005, 11:47
The C check's gonna cost more than the aeroplane's worth.

Taken on strict commercial grounds I think that statement could apply to just about every "classic" type ever operated by AAG.

Thank goodness they see value where others do not.