PDA

View Full Version : Aptitude Tests Fairness?

NeoDude
10th Nov 2005, 11:28
Hi all,

I have recently been informed by NATS that I have failed the Aptitude Test stage of my application.

Although NATS policy is not to provide feedback, I sent a mail asking which test/tests that I had failed.

There response was that there are only 2 tests that have a set cut-off point and they are the Motivation Paper and the Basic Checking paper. Whilst passing the motivation paper I was not up to the required standard on the Basic Checking paper.

Whilst not wishing to sound like I am complaining or moaning about my result I believe I know a valid reason why Myself and other applicants might not perform as well as others on this paper.

When invited to the aptitude test stage a link is given to sample papers on the SHLgroups website. One of the sample tests is a Basic Checking test in the same form as the actual test. However in the sample paper one of the questions has 2 correct answers i.e. duplicate numbers. Keeping this in mind on my test day I spent longer on each question than I normally would ensuring that there were no duplicates, there were none. I believe that this is the reason that I failed this test.

Does anyone agree with me that this situation gives an unfair advantage to those who have not taken the sample papers? as they would not be expecting duplicate answers?

I think that if there is no intention to have duplicate answers in the actual test then the sample paper should be changed to reflect this.

Thoughts?

up the tower
10th Nov 2005, 11:40
Surely everyone got the same link though, everyone on my selection day did.
Those that hadn't read the selection paper were probably at a greater disadvantage, as they wouldn't have known what was coming up, SHL cater for a number of organisations, so NATS probably used the closest example.
Have another go at applying, 29 is ok, and be more prepared next year. Did you get told the cut off point by any chance?

VectorLine
10th Nov 2005, 12:54
The test did exactly what is says on the tin - Assessed your ability to check information in an alloted time.

Are you saying that if you did not suspect duplicate codes and found the matching one was the first code on the list, you would not have checked the others? If so, then that means you would not be checking correctly.

You did what was required, but you were unable to do it to the required standard. Nuff said.

Try again next year.

NeoDude
10th Nov 2005, 13:02
Point taken.

When re-applying, can I submit a re-application just now and expect a test date next year or do I have to wait until next year before re-applying? The wording in the response from NATS implies that it is only the test that needs a 12-month gap.

261A
10th Nov 2005, 16:50
Would just like to comment about the SHL sample paper.
I, although not an ATCO or applying to be one (yet), have seen the sample papers and as air traffic control aptitude tests are, I believe, very much different than any other testing surely NATS should change the organisation that produces samples as I can't imagine any other job like ATC where candidates need to do what is required in the NATS aptitude tests.

Gonzo
10th Nov 2005, 16:57
Or Perhaps NATS should stop providing samples?

It is only in the last few years that NATS have let candidates know where to find examples of their selection tests.

Many of us managed to pass the test day without any knowledge of what was coming.

GT3
10th Nov 2005, 18:57
We did!

And things aren't what the used to be down at CATC. My I am sounding old.....

blackstiletto
11th Nov 2005, 10:35
I also noticed that on the practice papers there was a question where there were two correct answers. I thought that this must have been a mistake and on the day of the aptitude tests didn't think twice about the possibitliy of there being two correct answers.

I managed to pass the aptitude tests this time round and am awaiting to go for my interview (it's the end of this month, scary!)

niknak
11th Nov 2005, 16:11
Slightly off the post but someone mentioned the use of the tests in other industries.

To a large extent, the same apptitude tests are used in the selection processes of a wide variety of industries.

I feely admit that I was very sceptical about their validity when we started using them, but they are a pretty good indicator of who will succeed and who will not, (the quality of instruction and success rate at CATC is entirely down to CATC Management).

Having discussed their usefullness with friends in other industries, they were initially of the same opinion, but rapidly changed their minds when the results spoke for themselves in terms of the quality of candidates they are now recruiting, not to mention the money they save in training costs.

(No, I don't work in NATS or management).

Tweety
29th Nov 2005, 22:47
I remember when I did my ATC app tests 20 odd years ago and they never gave us examples, one just arrived and was lumped with it.