PDA

View Full Version : IR questions you'd wished you'd asked...

buggingout
9th Nov 2005, 14:25
Hello

Anyone got any questions they'd wished they'd asked about an FTO before CPl/IR training began....?

I'm visiting a school soon and just wanted to check my list of queries....

Cheers!

Luke SkyToddler
9th Nov 2005, 17:07
It costs HOW much?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

RVR800
10th Nov 2005, 09:06
Why can I not have a complimentary video of the CFI doing the CAA test route on the aircraft that I will use so that I can learn faster and watch it at home at my leisure................?

Is it true that this course is largely 'teaching by assessment' - you will watch me while I fly, and say what I did wrong?

In my training pack is there a decent text book that will teach me all about the IR and test I am thinking of a modern one written in the last year or so?

Why does the simulator use so much electricity? (hence the cost)
Why is the aircraft dissimilar to the sim in so many respects..

Why will I have to do a multicrew IR once I have finished the course and are the instruments the same in modern airliners these days as ME light aircraft ?

Now that NDBs are being withdrawn in many parts of the world -will you teach me none-precision approaches using GPS.

Will you let me fly your twin on the test route SOLO the day after I have passed the IR in IMC/IFR - why not?

With less than 700 hrs can I conduct a simmilar trip for real as an air taxi pilot under IFR conditions exercising my CPL/IR?

I understand that the ICAO Multi Pilot Rating will make this rating uneccessary for some airline pilots who will fly into LHR etc will you teach that here?

Why are so few UK PPLs doing this course (only 20 per annum) in the UK out of 60,000 pilots?

Are there any plans to update this course in consultation with the CAA - to give me more value for money?

Tuned In
10th Nov 2005, 10:26
Is VAT included?
Are home approaches and landings included?
Is there an NDB and an ILS at the home airfield/airport?
Where will I take the test?
How many students are taken on per instructor?
Can I pay after I fly?
Can I talk to some students, in their crew room with no staff around?

RVR

You could choose a school whose sim is as close as a simple FNPT2 can be to the real aircraft (i.e. same cockpit layout, type-specific flight dynamics etc.). They do exist! However they might use as many as 6 PCs with 7 projectors, so must use a lot of electricity. Can't make both complaints.

GPS approaches are illegal in the UK.

I understand you can with less than 700 - there is a loophole that allows 400 hours. I was told this by a potential employer that uses it, but I have 1000 so don't need to know what the loophole is. Ask the CAA that question, as well as the one about the PPL IR.

A few of your questions were interesting, but don't you think it impolite to express your frustrations on a thread intended to help another wannabe in ways that do not address his request?

Craggenmore
10th Nov 2005, 12:04
If I don't get on with my instructor, I want to change without fuss or delay.

(get their agreement to this is writing...)

RVR800
10th Nov 2005, 15:44
> Tuned In
> Impolite

I didnt intend to be impolite - these are legit. questions although not all are related to a particular flight school

My point is really that the whole IR thing needs updating....

Tuned In
10th Nov 2005, 16:52
Yes, they are legitimate questions, but not addressed to a flying school that has no say inthe matter. It is impolite to the originator of the thread to express your frustration in a topic posted for a different purpose. There is a button at the top, right-hand corner labelled "New Topic". You are entitled to use it.

buggingout
11th Nov 2005, 08:58
Cheers all, I've just had a successful visit!

Don't worry about the "rant", I can quite easily go off on one myself about flight training........;)

mad_jock
11th Nov 2005, 10:12
I wouldn't bother with the FNPT2 go for for a school that will give you free solo sim time on a FNPT 1 if you have an option. Your going to be flying around with a grey screen in front of you anyway.

Its brillant in the early days to be able to have a lesson then practise it by yourself or with another student taking it in turns until all the checks are flowing and you have the knack of it. Then move onto the next lesson.

Then in the later stages when you are waiting for tests etc you can keep your hand in by doing a couple of routes a day or figures of 8 with engine failures.

Personally i did a 55 hours course and 90 hours solo sim time.

MJ

ramshorn
11th Nov 2005, 11:38
Hi!
Planning on starting my IR at Bristol flying centre soon.Which particular schools are you all talking about here and has anyone been to BFC??
Thanks;)

buggingout
12th Nov 2005, 08:57
I've heard good things about Bristol, it's also a test centre I believe so that helps keep costs down & improves your knowledge of possible routes etc.....I think!