PDA

View Full Version : Computer replacement, but retain settings?

beardy
9th Nov 2005, 11:01
I am looking for advice, here is my problem:

I have 2 computers both linked to an external hard drive (120gb) through a router. I want to replace one of the computers, but I have the computer set up just how I like it and I don’t want to lose the settings.
I am using XPsp2 that was upgraded from 98se (hence still FAT32) on the one I want to replace and XPsp2 (clean installation) on the other. I want to install XP professional on the one I want to replace, but still maintain all my settings. Can it be done? I am not as computer literate as I would like to be, but can undertake some work. Can I mirror (or clone, I am not sure of the correct terminology) the outgoing drive (only 25gb) and then place the contents onto the new drive once XP professional is installed and maintain all my settings? I feel sure that this problem has been encountered before so would appreciate all advice.

Conan the Librarian
9th Nov 2005, 11:47
Others will give a more useful reply, I am sure - but I am pretty sure that there is an import settings wizard on XP that should help out. I haven't used it myself though. (as yet!!!)

Conan

All Ahead Full
10th Nov 2005, 12:30
right - quite simple really - goto Programs, Accessories, Backup.

Choose the advanced mode.

Then browse down to c:\documents and setting\'you username'

where 'your username' is the same as the user you use on the computer.

backup all this folder to a file.

You can then do the reverse on the new computer - the usernames should be the same.

beardy
10th Nov 2005, 17:20
Thanks for the advice, features I never knew existed!

However, in XP home, Programs, Accessories and I can't see a Backup title.

Saab Dastard
10th Nov 2005, 19:40
The thing that you want is:

Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Files & Settings Transfer Wizard.

Note that it ONLY transfers the settings for the currently logged in user, so if you need to transfer settings for multiple users of a single PC you will have to login as each user in turn.

Guess how I found that out! :rolleyes:

SD