PDA

View Full Version : Dogfight or Dogf...??

teeteringhead
9th Nov 2005, 10:55
The "Last Tommy" thread has reminded me of a tale I heard many years ago from an RFC veteran. 'Twas the late 60s, just after I joined up, and I was summoned (no better word) to the presence of Mr Walker, an ex-RFC man who lived a few doors down, living over the sweetshop his wife ran.

He was rarely seen out, so Mrs Walker (don't think adults had Christian names then - at least not to baby pilot officers) ushered me into the front room. We chatted for a while, then he smiled and asked:

"Young Teeters, do they still talk about dogfights in the RAF."

"Yessir" I replied, whereupon he began chuckling, a chuckle which became an emphysemic rattling cough - but he still smiled.

"Never really called them that" he said, "We called 'em Dogf*cks"

Shock horror from Plt Off Teeters that old folk should know such words.

"Think about it! When dogs fight, they go head-to-head; when they f*ck, one tries to get behind the other which was what we tried to do to the Hun"

"So why are they called Dogfights"

Cue more emphysemic rattling laughter.

"It was the bloke from the Times who came out to the front to write an article.. He said he couldn't write dogf*ck, he'd best call it a dogfight - so dogfight it became."

I've never heard the story anywhere else, has anyone heard anything similar - it sounds so logical ... and I hope it is true.

[Mr Walker died a couple of years later, and left me a gold and blue-enamelled RFC wings brooch....]

Gainesy
9th Nov 2005, 11:54
Cracking tale Teeters. Its just got to be true.:)

Onan the Clumsy
9th Nov 2005, 12:01
I have heard that story, in one of the many biographies I have written. Unfortunately, I have no idea which one, but I'll bet it was one from WW1 and those were in the minority.

You might try Sagittarius Rising or Bloody April.

sorry I can't be more specific, but definately a Yes vote from me.

I bet those knowledgable folk on AH&N would know.

c-bert
9th Nov 2005, 12:11
in one of the many biographies I have written

:oh:

or read? :8

chuks
9th Nov 2005, 19:00
I heard that McAuliffe's reply to the German request for him to surrender at Bastogne was not actually 'Nuts' as often quoted but something far pithier.

Then I met the man around 1974, when he came into my garage to have his Chrysler serviced. (At first he was just some old guy who happened to be named McAuliffe, then I saw the multi-starred bumper sticker on the Chrysler and put 2 and 2 together, when I asked him if he was THE General McAuliffe.)

I just never had the nerve to ask him what he said there at Bastogne, though. He seemed too much of a gentleman, somehow. Someone here must know the answer to that one.

BEagle
9th Nov 2005, 20:07
I heard the 'dogf*ck' term from an entirely independent source.....

I suspect it's true.

Onan the Clumsy
9th Nov 2005, 22:39
or read? :8

good point! :p