PDA

View Full Version : UK / Ireland Reciprocal Agreement

Alex Whittingham
9th Nov 2005, 08:52
The UK CAA and the IAA have formally agreed to accept each other's exam passes. This means you can now do your written exams in the UK and CPL skills test in Ireland and vice-versa.

IAA text (http://jals.co.uk/bgs/download_files/IAA.pdf)

mrbungle
9th Nov 2005, 11:34
At last, we'll no longer be ripped off in Ireland and can cross-pollenate our training !!!

See you soon Alex.

(Now....how to get a good exchange rate .....)

Emerald flyer
9th Nov 2005, 12:14
This is certainly a welcome (if a tad late!) decision.

I was given the clear impression by a senior IAA representative almost a year ago that this was going to happen 'any day now' (?!). After months of waiting I finally ran out of time (and patience) and did the CPL at a CAA approved school. I've no doubt that many other Irish lads and lassies were compelled to do likewise.
But better late than never, certainly :-) I'm pleased to hear this.

Well done Alex for being so prompt in bringing this to light, I hope that this results in more Irish coming across to avail of Bristol ground schools superior (in my opinion) service.
ps- Regards to A. & J. in the office.

Emerald flyer.

powdermonkey
9th Nov 2005, 12:36
AT LAST!!!

If only it had happened 6months ago...........still, I'm half way through ATPs now so might as well keep going in Eire. Great news though, thanks Alex, you have your finger on the button as usual.

The Hedge
10th Nov 2005, 09:58
Good news!

Does this mean I can...

Do the CPL and theory overseas ..say NAC

DO the initial class 1 medical at Dublin

Then who becomes the state of issue?

btw does anyone know the difference between the medical at Gatwick and Dublin?

Cheers

BillieBob
10th Nov 2005, 10:09
thanks Alex, you have your finger on the button as usual. WHAT??? I hope not!! Knowing that Dubya's got his finger there is bad enough!

.....finger on the pulse, perhaps?

powdermonkey
10th Nov 2005, 10:26
Emmmmm.... BillieBob, thou art quite right, finger on pulse is what I ment, or perhaps just " on the ball " would have sufficed.
:O

willby
10th Nov 2005, 18:27
Hi Hedge,
The reciprocal arrangement just covers the theory and cpl. The state of issue will be wherever you do the cpl. So if it's NAC the the UK will be the state of issue.
Even though the arrangement does'nt cover the class 1 medical, the CAA has always accepted an Irish one. However it had to be transferred to a UK version for the appropriate fee. The medical itself is the same and costs the same when currency conversion is taken into account.
Rgds
Willby

november.sierra
10th Nov 2005, 18:43
I know the CAA accepts IAA medicals but how about the other way round? I don't know whether the IAA will be a bit funny as there's no EEG in the UK anymore and the vision standards are slightly lower.

Anyone with any experience regarding this? (The IAA have told me to Foxtrot Oscar because my vision is outside their limit, by a small margin, but I passed the UK medical with no restrictions, so we'd only be talking about a renewal and not initial).

powdermonkey
10th Nov 2005, 20:08
Nov Sierra

I was just within the limits for the IAA, but was told then that for the renewal, the limit is extended to -8, so that if I was to deteriorate a bit, I would still be ok, even though I would then be outside the initial class 1 limits.:8

papluca
13th Nov 2005, 06:37
does this also include any other european countries,
for example,
can you do cpl flighttraining in some other european country other then ireland when you have a frozen UK ATPL?

cheers

Alex Whittingham
23rd Nov 2005, 07:32
In theory it only works where there is a 'reciprocal agreement' between the two national Authorities and the one above is the only one I know of. In practice some other countries will accept UK exam passes at face value without a formal agreement in place, I know Greece will, maybe also Turkey and Iceland.

darragh_ptc
9th Dec 2005, 10:58
Having lobbied vigorously for a year, and made written submissions in order to achieve this result, no doubt we will the subject of many plaudits too!! :ok: :O

Darragh Owens
Chief Ground Instructor
Pilot Training College of Ireland

EIDW RJ85
6th Jan 2006, 23:14
I only just saw this thread now ...
Does this mean now that i can do my ATPL written exams here in Ireland for my UK CAA Licence? I have a CAA PPL??
Many thanks

willby
7th Jan 2006, 10:10
I only just saw this thread now ...
Does this mean now that i can do my ATPL written exams here in Ireland for my UK CAA Licence? I have a CAA PPL??
Many thanks
Hi EIDW.
The answer is yes and wherever you choose to do your cpl will be the state of issue for the licence
Willby

BillieBob
7th Jan 2006, 14:20
Sean H - If you take the time to read the IAA notice, to which Alex has kindly provided a link, you will see that it refers only to the issue of a CPL and the examinations for the CPL and/or ATPL. It has nothing whatever to do with the PPL

Sean H
8th Jan 2006, 22:53
Does this mean you can do your ATPL exams in Ireland and do all your ATPL flight training in florida at a CAA approved school like naples, EFT,OBA, etc?

powdermonkey
9th Jan 2006, 07:13
SeanH, here is what the link says

FLIGHT CREW LICENSING
IRISH AVIATION AUTHORITY
Appendix 1
Pursuant to JAR-FCL 1.065(b) & 2.065(b) and subject to any other requirements in JARFCL
the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) and the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) agree the
following:
1. Ireland will be the State of CPL issue where an applicant successfully:
(a) completes a Modular CPL or ATPL Theoretical Knowledge Training Course at an FTO
approved by the UK and passes the associated examinations under the responsibility of
the CAA (see Note 1);
(b) completes a Modular CPL Flight Instruction Course at an FTO approved by Ireland
and passes the CPL Skill Test under the responsibility of the IAA; and
(c) passes the Initial Medical Examination for a Class 1 Medical Certificate under the
responsibility of the IAA.
2. The UK will be the State of CPL issue where an applicant successfully:
(a) completes a Modular CPL or ATPL Theoretical Knowledge Training Course at an FTO
approved by Ireland and passes the associated examinations under the responsibility of
the IAA (see Note 1);
(b) completes a Modular CPL Flight Instruction Course at an FTO approved by the UK and
passes the CPL Skill Test under the responsibility of the CAA; and
(c) passes the Initial Medical Examination for a Class 1 Medical Certificate under the
responsibility of the CAA.

I understand from that that if you do a CPL with a CAA FTO, so could be in the US, your CPL will be issued by the CAA, if you have done your ATPL Theory in Ireland.