PDA

View Full Version : Who's on Meteorology Observer Course - December

Brian81
8th Nov 2005, 20:09
Hello.

I'm off on a Met Observer Course at the begining of December [first week in Exeter, second week at Belfast City]

Anyone else going on it? (or know anyone who's going on it)

ALSO: Previous course-go-ers, where is good / safe / close to the MET office to stay at in Belfast?

Thanks

:ok:

Traaaa.

Brian.

booke23
8th Nov 2005, 22:30
Hmm.....not sure who's on the course,

...............but as for staying in Belfast, you'll find alot of the large hotel chains have city centre establishments there. A short train ride will then get you to the City Airport. As for where's safe.......pretty much anywhere, Belfast is safer than London these days.

In fact I liked it so much there, I'm planning a short break soon!

Brian81
9th Nov 2005, 17:25
Thanks for the advice. Is the MET office on the airport itself? Is it airside?

Is the course as boring as I'm being led to believe?

*I'm quite sad, so I'm quite looking forward to it.

*The request is still active for anyone who knows anyone who's going on this course.

Traaaaaaaa.

Dizzee Rascal
9th Nov 2005, 18:57
*I'm quite sad, so I'm quite looking forward to it.

Oh Bri, you're not sad, you're just keen!:p

DR

coolbeans
9th Nov 2005, 18:59
Ah the met course, happy memories. It was torquay and manchester when I did it.

The course works pretty dull (easy) just head to the bar though, 2 week paid holiday.

You get extra points if your still flirting with inebriation when the written exam kicks off

:cool:

Brian81
9th Nov 2005, 19:45
Flirting with inebriation??? Sounds like my kinda course... :}

I dont need alcohol to flirt. You just ask any of my colleagues... I frighten myself sometimes I really do... :-D

Takes me back to the procedural course... During a random lesson I managed to simulate a TCAS climb noise, in front of the whole class. It was a drunken dare from the bar the previous night. I didnt even have to try. It just slipped out, much to the hillarity of the audience... Happy days... We were easily pleased during the long tedium of procedural approach... [ugh].*

Traaaaaaa.:ok:

*The course content not the teaching or teachers.

Narni
10th Nov 2005, 10:42
Hi Brian,
I'm on the Met Course first week in December too! Woohoo! Glad to know I'm not the only one sad enough to be looking forward to it :ok:
Got my second week at Belfast starting 2nd Jan... whens yours? Apparently the Met office there is about half a mile from the terminal- so shouldn't be too bad!

Nikki

Brian81
10th Nov 2005, 11:37
Im on the Belfast bit the very next week after the Met office bit.

I'd assume that they've run out of space?

I wonder why there is room at Exeter for "x", but only room for "y" at Belfast.

And reference distance from Terminal... HALF A MILE... "TAXI!"

The nearest thing to exercise I do is walking from the aerodrome control desk to the kettle. And I aint joking. :-)

Anyway, Looking forward to meeting you. :ok:

Traaaaaa.

lamix1w
10th Nov 2005, 14:40
Afternoon ladies and gents

I'm on the course 5-9 december in exeter and 19-23 in belfast. If these are the dates you are on send me a PM and we can talk more.

Cheers

Jamie

Dizzee Rascal
10th Nov 2005, 19:47
The nearest thing to exercise I do is walking from the aerodrome control desk to the kettle. And I aint joking. :-)

He really ain't joking!

prendle
11th Nov 2005, 10:11
Brian

I completed the course last year, really enjoyed the Exeter stage. The Airport is about 5 miles from the Met Office, definately a taxi ride!! Don't expect too much from the food at the Met office, but the Pub, which serves food, is very close to the Hotel. The Met office is a 5 minute walk from the Holiday Inn. The course is very well presented and certainly beneficial.

Have a good time

: P

Brian81
11th Nov 2005, 11:34
Something has just dawned on me...

The course notes dont actually say whether its Belfast City or Belfast Aldergrove.... ???

The joining instructions contain flight details to both airports, hotels for both airports and maps of both airports, but doesnt actually say which one I'm at... :}

I *thought* I was at City, but now I *think* I'm at Aldergrove.

Does anyone know? only, this is going to affect flights and hotels. We all know how tightly finance all airport departments keep their wallets closed. :-)

Traaaaaaa.

EDIT: Its Belfast Intl.

I superimposed the map of the met office building and terminal shape onto an aerodrome chart in the AIP. A perfect match!

The clues were there, you just had to look for them... lmao

There must've been an easier way of doing that, and before anyone comments, yes; I did call the met office, the receptionist I spoke to wasnt really sure.

still lmao.

Dizzee Rascal
11th Nov 2005, 12:48
I reckon our finance 'person' is probably the worlds tightest git ever!:mad:

AlanM
11th Nov 2005, 14:10
DR - he can't be that tight - or you would have gone to Heathrow mate.

lamix1w
11th Nov 2005, 17:44
Brian

I bloody well hope its aldergrove as i have been told cos my flights are already booked there!!!!

Theres a chap at my place thats pretty clued up on stuff like that and he's apoken to the course people on the phone so u can be sure it aldergrove.

Laters

Jamie

Tweety
29th Nov 2005, 22:45
Met

well there is a boring topic, is course just for controllers or for people wanting to be met observers.

Brian81
30th Nov 2005, 11:40
Dunno.

I think its open to anyone who wants to spend the money on the course. It is just coding the weather & observing though, and you do need experience of aviation weather and the way its coded in a METAR & TAF.

Contact the met office from their web site for further details if your that interested. I'll post on here once Ive done it & pass my witty remarks on the subject.
:bored:

Bri.
Traaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

[edited to sound less "matter of fact", ooooo! check me!]
:D

Keepitsimplestupid
1st Dec 2005, 19:29
Brian

I was on my Met Course in September so it's all (hopefully) still fresh in my mind! Week one in Exeter is five days of theory with the odd observation if there is time. I think there were 11 on my course.
Week two is a different story. As the second week is solid observing with one to one tuition I think the maximum number of students is 2 per week. The Belfast week is at the Met Forcast office at Aldergrove. You may be dissapointed to find it is nearer the cargo area of the airport than the terminal. As for accomodation the Belfast Park Plaza is the only Airport Hotel so unless you want to mess about with local buses or taxi its the only option and a ten minute walk.
One final note, the course is a legal requirment for anyone wishing to record Met conditions at a UK airfield hence the backlog of candidates.

Good Luck