PDA

View Full Version : Flt Lt Emma Chater 1975 - 2005

Brit55
8th Nov 2005, 18:51
Just a note to say a word about a young lady who was laid to rest at the College Chapel of St Michael and all Angels today.

Emma Chater lost her courageous battle against cancer just over a week ago, a battle she fought with determination since the latter part of her IOT in 2002.

Although she was not aircrew, I could not think of a more suitable forum in which to mention her.

Emma displayed a level of courage that would stagger us all. Always positive, always focused and incredibly, she was always caring for others at a time when she could have slipped into self pity.

A brave lady, a fine Officer and a shining example...

Almighty Father of the sky
Be with our airmen when they fly;
And keep them in thy loving care
Amid the perils of the air.
O Let our cry come unto thee
for those who fly o'er land and sea.

Per Ardua.

Navaleye
8th Nov 2005, 19:16
My condolances to Emma's family and friends at this difficult time.

cazatou
8th Nov 2005, 19:37
I joined 10 years before she was born. I never knew her, but that does not diminish the hurt at the loss of a Comrade at such a young age.

My condolances to her Family.

tablet_eraser
8th Nov 2005, 21:56
I was on IOT with Emma and worked with her periodically on 1ACC. What I can remember from IOT is that she was so calm and collected about the life-changing news she received before PEACEKEEPER that no-one apart from her closest friends and the execs knew. She was determined to carry on despite her illness, and fought a corageous battle.

Unselfish and determined to the end, Emma's passing will leave a big hole in the Service. My sincere condolonces to her friends and family.

I think her courage is perfectly embodied by the RAF College prayer:

LORD, grant that I may serve You as You deserve.
To give, but not to count the cost;
To fight, but not to heed the wounds;
To toil, and to seek no reward
Save that of doing Your work.

Per Ardua.

stickmonkeytamer
9th Nov 2005, 01:38
I was on Emma's Flight at IOT. I will always remember her enthusiasm and zest for life. She never brought her own problems, only solved other peoples problems. She always put others before her self. I last saw her late last year, and she was as happy as ever- that is how I shall remember her. She will be sorely missed by all who who ever met her. She helped so many people get through tough times, both within the RAF and outside, that she must be one of the Few who has truly "earned her Wings" in Heaven...

riffraf
9th Nov 2005, 17:39
Do not stand at my grave and weep;

I am not there.

I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,

I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry;

I am not there.

I did not die.

Thoughts are with family and friends at this time.

PPRuNeUser0211
10th Nov 2005, 07:18
RIP Emma, only met you briefly but you were clearly a great person. Condolences to the family and all who knew her.

Wyler
10th Nov 2005, 12:12
Spoke to some of the guys who went to the funeral. An amazing and emotional service for a very special lady. An excellent job also by the female poll bearers.

Very sad, God Bless.

stickmonkeytamer
11th Nov 2005, 03:25
I'll be thinking of Emma today during the minutes silence- I'll miss her.

Neil Welsh
31st May 2006, 09:48
Sorry to reply to such an old thread but I only heard the news about Emma today and this site is the only link I can find to her.

Emma was my childhood sweetheart and my best friend growing up together in West Monkseaton. I lost contact with Emma when her family moved to the North West in the mid to late eighties. Over the last few years I have often tried to get in touch with Emma but without success, now sadly it is too late. I didnt know Emma as a adult, but as a girl she was the most loving, caring friend I ever had and I am so sad she has passed away. Thank you for some of the moving tributes posted on here, it sounds as though she grew into quite a lady and it is tragic her life ended so soon.

If anyone has any details of Emma's parents, or her sister, I would be very grateful if you could pass on my email to them so I can pass on my deepest condolences personally. [email protected]

Rest in Peace Emma, you will always remain in my memories.

Neil Welsh