PDA

View Full Version : Regular Reserves - deployment thereof

FrogPrince
8th Nov 2005, 13:13
Overall, HM Forces' operational tempo must be now approaching the climax of 'Danse Macabre', especially with next year's (open ended ?) 'jolly' to Central Asia.

Given that Messrs Hoon and Reid have twanged every elastic in the Regulars and the Volunteer Reserves (RNR, RMR, TA, RAuxAF) the only place for them left to turn is the Regular Reserves.

Would this require a vote in Parliament ?

Also, I wonder if the other Services have experienced the same abuse of the FTRS contract as appears to be happening in the TA ? Once upon a time, 'mobilised' meant deployed on Ops and 'FTRS' meant supporting the Regs back in the UK. Current RFA legislation means that the TA reservist can't be comp. mobilised more than 1 year in 5. The Army get-around is to FTRS an individual into an operational theatre. Possibly good for a 'gung ho' individual reservist but not at all what Parliament intended, I'm sure.

Thoughts from the floor ?

Logistics Loader
8th Nov 2005, 13:18
My oppo is Camp Colditz in Sth Atlantic was on FTRS in 2002...
not a new concept by a long shot...

FrogPrince
8th Nov 2005, 13:34
Ops, granted, but no bullet / IED dodging involved.

southside
8th Nov 2005, 15:59
Very true. I know of at least 5 full time reservists in front line jobs and deployed.

Data-Lynx
8th Nov 2005, 16:09
That's twice in one week that I find myself agreeing with southside. There are FTRS staff in Fleet and PJHQ who have deployed in 2005 and will deploy next year.

Onan the Clumsy
8th Nov 2005, 16:55
Brilliant idea: If we're short on manpower, maybe our elected leaders can volunteer for a quick stint.

southside
8th Nov 2005, 16:59
Good idea but that will sadly mean a change to a parliment act. Sadly, serving MP's cannot join the Armed Forces. (and viccky versa)

engineer(retard)
8th Nov 2005, 19:16
"Sadly, serving MP's cannot join the Armed Forces. (and viccky versa)"

Mine did a stint as a reservist in Iraq - Dr Murrison (sp?). I believe ther was also another Tory, none form the other side that I know of.

Regards

Retard

SmilingKnifed
9th Nov 2005, 18:38
There's definitely been a reservist MP (TA Major, not sure what Reg) deployed on Telic. He even wrote an article on it for one of the propoganda mags.

WE Branch Fanatic
9th Nov 2005, 18:59
Several MPs are serviing Reservists - membership of the Reserves is allowed.

BTW Actually moblising peple is somewhat different from FTRS - which is voluntary in nature.

FrogPrince
10th Nov 2005, 19:36
Oh, yes. I've met quite a few 'full time' reservists over the past 20 years. For some, their military pay was much better than their civilian salary so 'back-to-back' FTRS was a nice little earner. I'm sure their employers would have been none too impressed, had they known the truth...;)

My original question was whether parliament would have to vote on the mobilisation of regular reserves if TB and Dr John need them next Spring to make up the numbers for Afghanistan or to backfill elsewhere. (Anyone heard of the 'Z' men at the time of the Suez Crisis ?).

BEagle
10th Nov 2005, 20:01
There's a huge difference under the RFAs between 'call-out' and 'recall' and the occasions when SoS Def may sign the relevant Order.

If SoS Def ever thought that 'recall' could be ordered to support some Bliarist overseas adventurism, he'd be eaten alive...

JessTheDog
11th Nov 2005, 10:29
...Her Maj (or Chazza, in the future) would have first bite at the SoS, followed by both Houses of Parliament :E

Pierre Argh
11th Nov 2005, 12:53
Be careful how you use Recall and Mobilisation, they have different legal meanings. The mobilisation of any reserve is subject to conditions specified in RFA96 (War, time of tension, emergency or humanitarian relief etc...) anything outside those conditions is a voluntary arangement.

FTRS is, I understand, a voluntary commitment, undertaken for a specific period (whether to meet an operational commitment, or just fill a regular post on the cheap). The level of commitment undertaken is clearly specified i.e. Full Commitment, Limited Commitment or Home Commitment. Whilst you do not have to be a member of the voluntary reserve to undertake FTRS, you do have to volunteer?

Quite what you mean by "Regular" Reserve I'm not sure, I assume you mean the non-voluntary reserves (ex-regulars who have a reserve obligation after leaving)? To get them back on operations they would have to be mobilised by order of the SoS for Defence (non-voluntary) or agree to sign up for a period of FTRS (voluntary)

There has always IMHO been "flexibility" in the employment of VRs, which is to mutual benefit... (after all if you don't like it you can always quit, although in the middle of FTRS this might be tricky?)... many I know earn a living from back-to-back FTRS jobs.
Civilian employers, (again in my understanding) are not obliged to provide job protection for FTRS, only mobilisation. Those individuals running this scam could be fired (IMHO) and jeopardise it for other Reserves who wish to accept the commitment legitimately.

As for Regulars doing too much time in Operational Theatres... (sorry that's for another thread)