PDA

View Full Version : Paying for ratings, etc.

glekichi
8th Nov 2005, 04:39
Is paying $1x000 for an instructor rating any different to paying for a type rating when offered a job?

How about paying for 50 hrs mountain flying experience?

Most of us pay for our own CPL.

If nobody did then the airlines would be forced to sponsor people.

But, the reality is that youve gotta be competetive.

Where do you draw the line?

Stiff Under Carriage
8th Nov 2005, 05:09
This topic has been done to death.

Are you trying to stir the pot? :hmm:

glekichi
8th Nov 2005, 06:47
I did a search earlier but only in D&G GA & Qs...
Found the big thread on it in D&G reporting points.

But, this wasnt supposed to be a wind up... Im just on my way to a CPL and starting to look at the options ahead.

Although I do think I would enjoy instructing, which seems to be the mainstream default option after getting the CPL, there seem to be other interesting ways to spend an extra $15000ish to get experience and land a first job.

Swanrider
8th Nov 2005, 08:35
Yeh, I see where you're at.
I waited for my first 1000 hours (VFR Chtr up north) until I invested further.
The point you're at I think is branching your dollars off into an Instructor Rating, Multi Command Instrument Rating, Ag Rating or Floatplanes. There are many options but all depends on where you feel you want to go.
I went the IFR rating but would have been better with a sex change out the back of St Kilda really!
:ok:

glekichi
8th Nov 2005, 10:41
Soulda been a little less sarcastic and a little more specific.

Im doing the MECIR as a part of the course Im on, and one of the *rumoured* possibilities for afterwards is of a metro rating and some co-pilot time, which i would hope would lead to a job.

....which led to the original post about paying for a type-rating.

I will, without a doubt, be forking out for something.
- Most likely an instructor rating, and certainly not a sex change:}

[edited to remove offenisve quote]

its_my_passion
8th Nov 2005, 11:51
Could I just ask a question.

Where on earth do you people get all this money from???

If living expenses such as car, rent, food, insurance etc aren't enough, how exactly do you find another 15K or so to "fork out" on top of everything else you've paid to get thus far??

It's so much money to go into debt for. How on earth does one service the debt whilst living off GA money ???

Just asking...

A37575
8th Nov 2005, 12:33
Spend some of the money on a week's holiday based in Madang in PNG. See the charter operators there and at the other airports. If they like your face you may even bypass their minimum hours requirements.

PNG is a spectacular country with wonderful flying scenery. There are security probs of course. Far better to take a chance and maybe score a job in PNG that will give you lots of flying hours, rather than spend the money on an instructors course that will bore you to tears and all you get is the RH seat of a C150 for the next five years while your more daring mates go away from the comforts of city life and get real jobs.

flyby_kiwi
8th Nov 2005, 19:51
Is paying $1x000 for an instructor rating any different to paying for a type rating when offered a job?

Yes, paying for training is one thing (ie paying for uni etc), paying for a job is another (ie "the jobs yours, now pay us 10k for a type rating"

Can sympathise with those for whom its a last resort but I think there is a growing number of people simply handing over money to aviod the hard yards in GA.

tinpis
8th Nov 2005, 23:52
Hear hear on the PNG idea.
But it will not help if and when your turn comes to be an airline robot/clone/numpty.

Arm out the window
9th Nov 2005, 02:03
i_m_p,
15 grand is peanuts compared to how much a lot of young blokes will happily go into hock for to get a plash ute or car; at least doing ratings, endorsements etc can be seen as a kind of investment.

glekichi
9th Nov 2005, 07:18
i_m_p,
Dunno if this is some super secret around here, but in NZ the student loan (HECS equivalent) covers aviation... including the expensive bit. (For now, anyway.)

It has its pros and cons.

A lot of monkeys who would otherwise be deterred, but hey, it also gives dedicated people, who would otherwise have no chance, a chance.

If I had stayed in Oz it would have taken me at least another 5 years to get the CPL + the extras. And thats a big difference being 25 as it is!

Still a big investment that has to be paid for eventually.

A37575,

Thanks! I had never even considered PNG, but it does sound like a very challenging :. rewarding path to take.
Waay too inexperienced at the moment (from reading other threads) but definitely something to keep in mind for the future.

masseygrad
9th Nov 2005, 17:04
Can I just say glekichi that I take exception to "death pencil rating". I presume you are referring to a Metroliner, perhaps in light of the accident over the Taranaki this year. My instructor and mentor for two years died in that accident . There are a number of Metros flying in NZ and the aircraft has a long proven track record here. In any case I find your reference to it as a 'death pencil' inconsiderate.

Woomera
9th Nov 2005, 20:17
A37575. Check with OzExpat. I think the 1,000 hour minimum for commercial ops in PNG is now an Office of Civil Aviation requirement.

So you buy a right hand seat Metro endorsement with a bare CPL - how do you accumulate the 500 hours ME command usually required to move on?

Woomera

troppo
9th Nov 2005, 20:30
In addition to the 1000hrs, didn't the Labour Department or Immigration bring in a minimum age limit of 25 for expats/pilots a while back?

polemic
9th Nov 2005, 21:56
Co-pilot turbine time is worth f'k all unless the company has a mechanism for you to eventually get in the LHS.

on the other hand if you have some command time on anything and then want to step up to turbines and the company offers a real job on real wages afterwards than a different issue I think.

I was going to mention how many hours are req to get into regionals but you have to pay for those these days dont you.

so it seems these days for criticised if you pay and f'ked if you dont

glekichi
9th Nov 2005, 22:58
masseygrad,
Im sorry to hear of your loss, but I was not having a go at the aircraft or people who fly them. Nicknames are just that, nothing more. I think they are awesome aeroplanes, and would love the opportunity to fly one someday. The nickname I quoted I have only picked up since being in NZ, and have also seen it used a few times here on pprune. Can we no longer use nicknames involving any type that has been involved in any fatal crash?
Having said that, no offence was intended and I have edited the post to remove the quote.

Woomera & polemic,
The rumoured opportunity is still just that, and only in very early discussion stages. It is very likely that it wont even be happening. If it were to come to be, obviously future career progression mechanism/opportunities would be the issue to take a good long look at. Im not looking for a shortcut, just an alternative route.