PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst

BadgerBadger
7th Nov 2005, 10:00
Hi guys,

As someone deciding to leave a well-paid job with good prospects to start a career in ATC, I would like to ask you good people what is/are the best and worst thing(s) about being an ATCO. I think I will go for it as I don't want to be sat in an office in 10 years time thinking "I wish I had taken the chance", but in the apparent current climate of it being harder than ever to get through successfully, I have to think long and hard and would just like a better idea of the positive and negative aspects of the life of an ATCO.

Many thanks for any replies.

Jerricho
7th Nov 2005, 10:02
Worst - Shift work can certainly take a little getting used to, especially when you're on your 3rd night shift in a row (like I am right now)

Best - How long have you got ;)

BadgerBadger
7th Nov 2005, 10:04
As you as you've got the patience to tell me about.

Gonzo
7th Nov 2005, 10:13
For me shift work is a positive. No chance I'd go back to weekday working, they'd have to pay me a lot more!

And in the UK we never do three nights in a row. :E

Jerricho
7th Nov 2005, 10:26
That cause you wouldn't know if yer asses were on fire Gonze :E

Badger, check your PMs.

BOBBLEHAT
7th Nov 2005, 10:42
You'd better not let the real Badger catch up with you. Nobody but nobody ****s with The Badger.

BadgerBadger
7th Nov 2005, 11:26
There's someone else called The Badger? I hadn't realised.... I hope he/she are alright with my name. My apologies to The Badger.

Gonzo
7th Nov 2005, 11:31
That cause you wouldn't know if yer asses were on fire Gonze

Can I use this as an example of the 'Jet Blast Grammar Thread' please? :E

So you must have heard about our last curry then! :oh: :oh: :oh:

niknak
7th Nov 2005, 11:48
Shift work can bugger up your social life, but I infinately prefer it to the 9 - 5 regime. Having time off mid week allows you your own time to do what you want, and as much as I love my family, that's a big bonus to me.

As for the rest....

Good pay, on our rosta for every 6 days leave you take you actually get 12 days off, it's a job I really enjoy and you can't take the work home with you.

BadgerBadger
7th Nov 2005, 11:51
Thanks niknak,

It's interesting that people mention shift work presents difficuties, but that many prefer it to 9-5. Any other positives and negatives out there for me to be aware of?

Spuds McKenzie
7th Nov 2005, 11:54
3rd night shift in a row
What sort of hell-hole are you working in, Jerricho...? :uhoh: ;)

flower
7th Nov 2005, 12:00
I much prefer shift work although it can have a major impact on your life if it revolves around non shift working people.

Everyday is different, you are challenged constantly, unless you choose to take it on there is never a pile of paperwork to deal with so when you unplug that is it your job is done for the day.

Coming away from work knowing it is a job well done, we take great pride in what we do.

Although there will be some out there most of us wouldn't want to do anything else. It is a challenging job which can and will take it out of you but I would say go for it.

sandstorm inferno
7th Nov 2005, 14:50
POSITIVE

+ never one day is the same
+ teamwork
+ aviation
+ pay
+ leave
+ shift work (see below)
+ promotion
+ if you failed as a pilot...

NEGATIVE

- lack of respect and understanding from management
- shift work (see above)
- stress (if you can't handle it)
- if you're a pilot but can't get another job...

Gonzo
7th Nov 2005, 15:00
In response to the above....

Lack of respect and poor management aren't symptomatic of ATC, one finds that in any industry.

I'm trying to work out why 'if you failed as a pilot' is a positive aspect of ATC.

There is no stress inherent in ATC.

Pressure, yes, of course. The crux of the matter is in how one deals with that pressure. I know that if I worked somewhere more quiet and with less pressure, I'd be bored. As soon as one fails to handle the pressure, and it becomes stress, I'd venture it's time to hang up one's headset and get a nice desk in Ops......

Spuds McKenzie
7th Nov 2005, 15:11
I'm trying to work out why 'if you failed as a pilot' is a positive aspect of ATC.
Same question here.

Plus: At least where I'm working there is no known case of a failed pilot having become an ATCO, but several cases of failed ATCOs being pilots now...

Gonzo
7th Nov 2005, 15:16
Spuds, I was thinking the same thing, but thought better of it! :ok:

BadgerBadger
7th Nov 2005, 15:17
Thanks for your helpful replies. Also well done on having got jobs that despite some inevitable downsides are enjoyable, fulfilling, interesting and well-paid. I hope in 3-5 years' time I can say the same.

flower
7th Nov 2005, 16:19
Failed Pilot bit confuses me as well.
Never wanted to be a pilot and I don't work with any colleagues who are in it as they failed as pilots. Do know plenty of people within ATC who hold pilots licences.

Fletchers Left Boot
7th Nov 2005, 17:16
Probably worth adding that with ATC, once you unplug that headset, put it in your locker, and head out of the door to come home at the end of your shift, you dont take the job with you. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/1219.gif

ATCOJ30
7th Nov 2005, 20:09
I'll go with almost all of the plusses. For me, it was a "no-brainer" at age 17, post A level and aircraft-mad since very small. Can't think of another job I'd rather do.

Shift work has to be better than 9-5 if you value time-off with the family: I tried the office routine for 6 years and am only too pleased to be back on shifts now. Practical, day-to-day ATC still gives me a buzz, after 33 years. It's a profession of which we, as "do-ers" at the sharp-end, should all be very proud too.

Down-side? For me, taking home any nagging doubts about my abilities as I get older and things I could/should have done better that day/week/month etc. And feeling like c**p at 4am on almost every night shift, knowing there's still another three hours left until I go home...

Gort
7th Nov 2005, 20:14
Quote from Sandstorm Inferno
"- if you're a pilot but can't get another job..."
Anyone with time and money can get a pilots licence .Not everyone can get an ATC licence.And I challenge anyone to be honest and say in an ATC interview when asked why are you applying "Because I did not make it as a pilot"

chiglet
7th Nov 2005, 22:45
Me?
I'm an Assistant [ATSA]. RAF, 1963-68, NATS [and its predessors {sp} since]
Would I change it? Of course...if I won Umpteen Million on the Lottery. Otherwise NO. :ok:
watp,iktch

Scott Voigt
8th Nov 2005, 01:21
The plusses are the JOB!!!! It is one of the most fun things that you can do with clothes on <G>... Shift work in and of itself is nice since you can be off when everyone else isn't. There are a lot of good things to say about that.

That worse part would be working for the govt. and it's management in the US. In simple terms, it stinks, (not that I would want to work for a private company that only cares about the bottom line.) Working midnight shifts, and having quick turn arounds between shifts such as eight hours. Other than that, well there is that stress thing from time to time, but I think that even that is a healthy thing most of the time...

Enjoy your new found passion...

regards

Scott

Canoehead
9th Nov 2005, 00:44
"Failed pilot?!?" If you have the money and the time, I can GUARANTEE you will get your wings. And no matter how much money or time you have, you can be sure that out of a class of 20, only 5 will become controllers.....

But I digress. You wanted the plus and minus. Although you've heard this before, it's worth repeating: If you truly and fully enjoy air traffic control, you'll never work a single day of your life.

Best of luck! :ok:

fernytickles
9th Nov 2005, 01:20
To digress slightly, I've always thought that if I lost my flight medical, but could still pass one for an ATC position, I'd love to try. It always sounds like its very rewarding, challenging and varied, thanks in part to the hiccups us pilots make ;) Presumably one of the few ways a person could "fail as a pilot", but still make it in the ATC world would be to lose the use of their legs? Or do you need to be able to walk to work in a radar control room?

Scott Voigt
9th Nov 2005, 01:30
Don't know about the UK, but if you fail your flight physical for flying, you have automaticaly failed it for controlling, they are basicly the same. A first class medical is every six months and a second is the same requirements but once a year.

regards

Scott

VRB03KT CAVOK
9th Nov 2005, 03:50
With regards to 'failed pilots', I wouldn't call myself 'failed' just yet but as a low hour commercial pilot I've been earning something similar to the dole for the last two years as an instructor.

Right now I'm trying my hardest to get into NATS, a job that pays well, appears to be loved by the majority of people doing it, a bit of job security and possibly enough disposable income to allow me to fly just for the pleasure of it!

BadgerBadger
9th Nov 2005, 11:34
Canoehead quotes "you can be sure that out of a class of 20, only 5 will become controllers".

Is it really that few at CATC?

Point Seven
9th Nov 2005, 20:48
The plusses are that it is the best job in the world.

The minuses are that you have to work with self righteous dwarves like Gonzo;)

P7

Gonzo
9th Nov 2005, 21:24
From you that's a compliment! :ok:

So I'll take it as such!

PS You forgot sanctimonious....

funfly
9th Nov 2005, 21:36
Just an anecdote...
When my son was leaving school at 16 (he's 40 now!!) he was a lazy bugger - a real 'Kevin'! - At the interview where they determined the most suitable job for him he answered 'nothing' to all the questions about interests and didn't give any indication about his willingness to do any work at all (he did say that he was 'interested in computers' however).
The result of the interview was they suggestion that he should seek his career in air traffic control.
He's an estate agent now!
Yes this is a true story - there's got to be a moral in there somewhere?
Mart.

NudgingSteel
9th Nov 2005, 22:30
Badgerbadger:
It's a fabulous job; of course there are whingers in every industry, but ask the ones in this industry what they'd be doing / earning if they weren't ATCO's....

Shift work is much much better than 9-5, given that we're pretty well protected and only tend to do 2 nightshifts at a time. As somebody mentioned above though, 4am is indeed a hideous time to be awake and feeling like cr@p!!!!! I particularly enjoy never, ever driving in the rush hour, and practically never having to go shopping at a weekend.

Also, don't forget this is a high-status job which gets a whole lot more respect from people than most other jobs you could think of. Add the pay, and the time off, and the fact that it's physically impossible to take your work home with you, and the fact that your decisions have immediate and visible consequences, well... I wish you the very best of luck with it!

DutchATCO
11th Nov 2005, 12:09
Hi Badger, here an air traffic controller from EHAM

Canoehead quotes "you can be sure that out of a class of 20, only 5 will become controllers".
the class i started in here in netherlands i was only 1 that ended up obtaining license out of 16 so could be worse... heard some bad figures at eurocontrol too...
in holland if it keeps going like this the shortage of staff gonna keep growing!

peter

Liobian
22nd Nov 2005, 20:21
Hi BB - I reckon ATCOJ30 got it about right......... the shift work does allow time off when the rest of the world is up and about, but those same shifts can be a hinderance if you want to plan regular social events, such as the gym every Tuesday....or whatever. After many years they can be wearing. And it's a sedentary job.

But it can be very rewarding, depending upon where you work - with available openings into other aspects of the job as ATC evolves........and we're by no means all would-be pilots !

Good luck, if you go for it !