PDA

View Full Version : Linux query

Cornish Jack
6th Nov 2005, 15:02
Have just returned to Linux on a new 'pooter' after having it installed as part of a quadruple boot on a previous machine. Previously I used Suse 8.0 Professional - installed like a dream and the multi-boot options worked fine using System Commander as the multi OS loader.
Have now moved up to Suse 9.3 Pro and, again the loading was totally straightforward. However, although Linux opened up OK after the initial loading in GUI mode, subsequent start-ups have failed to find the Suse option, leaving me with only XP, 98SE and Dos. I can access Linux again via its boot CD, but that ends up at the command prompt login. I cannot find any sequence which will open up the GUI desktop, nor can I get System Commander to include Linux in the boot options. Any Linux 'gurus' out there to spread a little light, please?
TIA

effortless
6th Nov 2005, 15:22
Are you using GRUB? If you bought a copy of SUSE it should have come with Acronis. If not get a copy and it will find the boot sector of SUSE and you can reconfigure.

Cornish Jack
7th Nov 2005, 09:21
Thank you, effortless.
The manual refers to Grub but my Linux sklls don't stretch beyond inserting the program CDs and clicking the 'Accept' option!!:\
Does Grub require to be 'mounted' and, if so, what is the syntax, please?
Apologies if this appears to be a bit basic but I can't find anything specific in the manual.
Thanks again.

effortless
7th Nov 2005, 09:49
Not a Linux guru by any means but I have used SUSE for quite a while. GRUB is a bootloader, it should have installed when you installed SUSE if it is on your copy. Try to reinstall and look for the bootloader option. Grub page here (http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/)

Failing that get a copy of ACRONIS here (http://www.softforall.com/Utilities/FileDisk/Acronis_Disk_Director_Suite09040425.htm) this is a disc managment program. You can repartition and set multiple os options.

Cornish Jack
7th Nov 2005, 14:02
Hi Cheerio (Sort of Hello/Goodbye!! ;) )
Thanks for that - guess what? ...... I loaded via the CDs ...
I think that I may have to wipe everything and start from scratch again.
On my previous machine I used System Commander to prepare the disk for all the OSs and that seemed to go OK. This time I left it to Suse to do the re-partitioning, which SEEMED to go OK, but the results were as given on my previous post.
It's not a big deal as the 'pooter' is a spare laptop intended for experiment.
I'd like to try to get up to speed on Linux so that I can finally dump the MS rubbish. :yuk:

Mac the Knife
7th Nov 2005, 15:36
Assuming you're logged in
Type
startx <enter> to start the X-window system
alternatively
type
init 5 <enter>
to enter runlevel 5 (full multiuser with network and X)

You should then be in the GUI

As for the other, sounds like GRUB is not finding the bootblock of your Linux install. Check out grub.conf

Cornish Jack
9th Nov 2005, 16:36
Thank you Mac
Would you believe that on the next switch-on the %£*^%% thing worked correctly!
However, I decide to try a complete re-install from the DVD. In fact, it picked up on the previous installation and offered a repair job. I opted for that and it repaired about 5 or 6 areas, including the Grub boot loader.
So far, successive power-ups have been fine offering me the required choice of Suse, Windows XP or DOS. It doesn't appear to 'see' W98 but that is no big problem at the moment.
Thanks to all for your help. :ok: