PDA

View Full Version : centrifuge

globetrotter101
5th Nov 2005, 16:45
Anyone know whats happening about a new centrifuge for the RAF? Are they still going ahead with one at Henlow?

Mr C Hinecap
5th Nov 2005, 17:35
I don't think the Henlow one will ever spin. Not built quite well enough I seem to remember.

Onan the Clumsy
5th Nov 2005, 18:37
No final decision has been made yet. They just keep going round and round...

ZH875
5th Nov 2005, 18:55
Perhaps it needs one of Uncle Tone's Spin Doctors.

DEL Mode
5th Nov 2005, 19:04
Subject to LEAN Old Boy.

Training moved to Alton Towers.

Onan the Clumsy
5th Nov 2005, 20:05
I don't think you should use such frivolity on such a heavy subject. This is a very weighty matter.

Gee!

Mr C Hinecap
5th Nov 2005, 22:19
You lot just don't understand the forces behind this heavy issue.

Onan the Clumsy
5th Nov 2005, 23:31
Apparently the project is a complete disaster. That won't stop the government putting their spin on it though.

Personally I blame the ex government lobbyists and the revolving door policies that keeps them close to the centre of the action.

Art Field
6th Nov 2005, 08:28
It's a matter of money, this cent frugal government say there is not enough money to go round.

ShyTorque
6th Nov 2005, 09:26
Let's hope we can turn this one around. We need to unite and generate a force to be reckoned with. I will ask the chairman of my local Rotary Club to get his members to apply what pressure they can, with all possible speed.

jindabyne
6th Nov 2005, 11:06
I understand that MoD continues to go round in circles over the issue and is under heavy pressure to maintain clear vision on the weigh-a-head. Personally, I think it all revolves about the centre being unable to jee things up. A grey area indeed.

Onan the Clumsy
6th Nov 2005, 13:31
I heard there were troubles at 't mill and the management have started a loc out.

tablet_eraser
6th Nov 2005, 13:33
Sounds to me like another case of some dizzy air officer reinventing the wheel.

Dimensional
6th Nov 2005, 15:15
It's strange we haven't heard about this before -- must've been a media blackout.

Gainesy
6th Nov 2005, 15:19
...or a case of more tunnel vision in planning?

Hot Charlie
6th Nov 2005, 16:33
The one at Farnborough seems ok, even if it is about 500 years old. Shame we have to pay QQ or someone to use it...

raytofclimb
6th Nov 2005, 18:38
Last I saw a few years ago now, the new building was up but the power required as the motor started up was HHHUUUUUGGGEEE and the supply wasn't robust enough.

The only solution would be to bring in power direct from a sub station that lay over several fields, a small town and a motorway.

Not surprised that it's not working cos no-one has a few trillion pounds to finish it. But it's ok because it was a 'smart procurement' project

pma 32dd
6th Nov 2005, 19:20
The Scotsman (http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=1034&id=881252004)

Red Line Entry
6th Nov 2005, 20:42
Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety, but it gets my goat when people ( particularly those who should know better) write about pulling "G" when they really mean "g".

Sad, I know - I really should have better things to do...

SSOT
6th Nov 2005, 20:56
Reading all of these puns is making me feel faint!

Onan the Clumsy
6th Nov 2005, 20:59
Actually :8 it's 'g' up to 9 and after that it becomes 'G'

...and you don't pull it, it pulls you :}

Blacksheep
8th Nov 2005, 03:33
F%!@#ing rotate! What a screw up.

Don't worry, all will turn out right in the end - its just a matter of swings and roundabouts. As my Gran used to say, what goes around comes around.

Zoom
8th Nov 2005, 09:22
My head's spinning.

Re 'g', I get irritated by the plural, as in 'The astronaut was subjected to 20gs' (or 20Gs even).

c-bert
8th Nov 2005, 09:54
Sounds like someone needs to gee up the project management.

Onan the Clumsy
8th Nov 2005, 12:09
It's back!

I thought this thread had been consigned to the circular file.

pikeyeng
8th Nov 2005, 19:29
Sorry for being serious for a mo but got back from henlow last week apparently the lovely new round building for the centrifuge is to small in diameter for the new arm of the spinny thing so they either get a new spinny thing or build a new round house. :ok: NICE ONE !!

L J R
9th Nov 2005, 19:56
These things are FANTASCICALLY EXPENSIVE full stop....

USAF bought some a while ago at the same price of an F-15 EACH ----at the time (circa 1987). Yes COSTLY, BUT they recognised that they have saved an F-15 pilot EACH YEAR (and his JET) since then, having recognised G LOC symptoms etc....

I am not advocating that USAF is right, but the logic is sound.

As an investment in the future, should you but ONE at the cost of a Typhoon ----read some £50++ Million (dont really know), in order to not crash a Typhoon per year [or two] due to G-Loc.??

Before you jump on the G-Loc capabillity of the EF-2000 Life Support Equipment - Think about it....any investment to combat G LOC and associated problems is a worthy investment. Even if it includes tapping directly from the Local power grid to operate.

I guess it is a welcome to the Top End G performing age.... (or 'g' for those purists).

BTW, they make funny videos for those who have seen themselves and their friends under hi G

PPRuNeUser0211
10th Nov 2005, 07:22
Call me crazy, but don't we have a 9G (note the 'G', as opposed to g....) capable centrifuge at farnborough.....

Surely the typhoon mates can just use this, at the cost of mere millions to the UK taxpayer I don't doubt. Sure the NFTC requirement for a 9G spin is carried out there isn't it? And I take my Typhoon socks, and bank my relaxed 9g (note, now small g....) thankyou very much;)

Red Line Entry
10th Nov 2005, 07:51
Pendant mode ON

The universal constant of gravitation (G) is a variable frequently used in fields like orbital mechanics.

The value of G is a constant that does not change no matter where one is in the universe. The value of g, however, does vary for each planet, star, moon, or other large body. These two gravitational parameters are related by the equation:

g = GM/r2 (where r2 means r squared)

and

g = acceleration due to gravity (m/s2)
G = universal gravitational constant (m3/kg/s2)
M = mass of the body (kg)
r = radius of the body (m)

Now,

G = 6.673 x 10-11 m3/kg/s2
Mass of Earth = 5.98 x 1024 kg
Radius of Earth = 6.375 x 106 m

Plug into equation above gives:

g = 9.81 m/s2

So the difference between g and G is a factor of one hundred and fifty billion! Call me picky but I think that is enough to count!

Pedant mode OFF

Or are we going round in circles here?

lightningmate
10th Nov 2005, 14:30
pba_target,

The Typhoon folk do use the Farnborough Centrifuge for Hi-G Famil Training. They also fly in the RAF CAM Hawks up to +9Gz.

The issue with the Farnborough Centrifuge is its age and, more important to some, a Defence Estates wish to flog the site to some property developer for a tidy sum.

LJR

I am unsure of the cost of an F15 these days but I suspect it is way above that of a centrifuge, even a super-dooper one.

Your comments concerning saving a single Typhoon etc are absolutely correct, such arguments have been fielded - and totally ignored!

lm

ORAC
10th Nov 2005, 14:48
Different budget no doubt........

Lou Scannon
10th Nov 2005, 16:48
Buy the London Eye from BA,
Beef up the electrics to increase speed,
...and you even get a view!