PDA

View Full Version : in car navigation software?

fixa24
5th Nov 2005, 09:38
Howdy all.
i'm looking for some software to put into a laptop/notebook with a GPS reciever that will do the same thing as buying a satnav thingo will do. I know that i can buy the software (around $400 AUD) but was wondering if there's a cheaper or free program out there that anyone knows about.
Cheers!!!:ok:

spannersatcx
5th Nov 2005, 12:47
Don't know of any free software, most stuff I know only covers europe or the USA. However MS have a new product here (http://www.microsoft.com/streets/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=001) and I beklieve you can also use autoroute with GPS as well.

seacue
6th Nov 2005, 11:37
This site is very US-centric but it's outstanding and reliable.

http://gpsinformation.net/

Look at Fugawi which I thinks allows you to scan your own maps. Used to be free, but that was long ago.

Fugawi = Where the ... are we?

seacue

Conan the Librarian
6th Nov 2005, 12:52
In Europe, Microsoft have Autoroute, which as well as being useable on notebook, is also useable on Pcket PC or some smartphones too. It is also quite cheap. I see that you are in OZ, but Microsoft will most likely offer this software under a different name in that market.

If you are going to have to spend money on Nav software, I would Google like mad and read as many reviews as you can before parting with cash. There is a gulf between some of these packages.

Conan

Tone
6th Nov 2005, 14:34
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GPS-NAVIGATION-SOFTWARE-FOR-LAPTOP-AND-PDA_W0QQitemZ5826440845QQcategoryZ75327QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

R4+Z
8th Nov 2005, 06:34
I have just bought Fugawi in Oz and it seems pretty good (still getting to know it though). Bought it from a company called Maptrax over east who even do aviation charts for this package. The problem for me is getting Perth street maps. I also have a Magellan package which does have Perth streets but is fairly basic. I believe Ozzie explorer is good too.

Loose rivets
8th Nov 2005, 08:32
I have seen the MS GPS going on a pal's car...looked good. what the ad did not seem to say was the power of the laptop that is needed.

I have an old Sony Vaio but it is 233 and with about 2 point something gig hard drive. is this not going to work for this application? R

By the way, there was an ad for MS beta spyware on the side of the GPS ad. anyone know if this is a good idea and wether it is time limited. R

Conan the Librarian
8th Nov 2005, 10:43
As I understand it, you should be ok with the old notebook, as it is only going to be used as a display device. The hard work is done by the GPS receiver. It would be a good idea to Google up the sys requirements for any particular piece of software tough.

The MS Anto Spyware Beta is freely available and I have used it for months. I am one of its' great fans, as in addition to its primary function, it offers some very good system start up facilities which provide some really useful information.

Conan

seacue
8th Nov 2005, 13:33
Not Australia, but I have MS Autoroute GB which does reasonable coverage of Western Europe as well. It is extremely slow if you leave the data on the CD. The good news is that one can load everything (abt 500 megabytes) onto the hard disk, at which point response times are good, even with a 450 MHz processor. In comparison, at least older versions of DeLorme Street Atlas for the USA work fine on a 120 MHz laptop with 32 megabytes of RAM reading map data directly from the CD. MS needs more efficient programmers. I don't think DeLorme has products outside the USA.

I'd suspect that Ozzie mapping from MS would be just as demanding as the GB version I have.

seacue

Conan the Librarian
10th Nov 2005, 01:22
What a nightmare! Finding good GPS software is a pain in the bum for (admittedly new) pocket PC users. If you are hoping to use on Windows mobile 5 then look very closely, as most software is going to give a smokers cough when you ask it to load.

Mind you, I have found many useful links by Googling for GPS software+uk

Conan