PDA

View Full Version : Swanwick Mil ?

beamer
5th Nov 2005, 08:41
I there any specific reason why we cannot go back to LONDONMIL or for that matter any specific reason why it has to be SWANWICK MIL when contacting military radar ?

Not really that important I know but..........

RAC/OPS
5th Nov 2005, 08:47
Don't know. Confuses them? "We're not in London therefore can't use callsign London" perhaps.

5milesbaby
5th Nov 2005, 09:19
The "change just for change sake" has finally filtered through from NATS into our Military wing - I wouldn't worry, I'm sure we will all have to learn even more changes once TC/MASOR moves down from West Drayton even though the impact on operations will be nil :E

Next us civil controllers will be using Swanwick, and I take it when the D&D cell come they'll then be changing too? Obviously someone somewhere wanted to fulfil a personal destination :}

2 sheds
5th Nov 2005, 09:51
Couldn't understand this. Surely any area unit, if serving, as a unit, the whole of the FIR/UIR, and whether civil or military, should use the name of the FIR as a callsign prefix? In this case, "London Mil", not the very naff-sounding "Swanwick Mil". The fact that they are not located near London itself is irrelevant. ("Drayton Centre" was eventually changed to "London Centre", quite rightly).

Can any military controllers throw any light on it?

London Mil
5th Nov 2005, 11:13
Could it be due to the fact that London Mil still exists at West Drayton (Everything East of the "Alphas") whilst Swanwick Mil is somewhere else?

Regardless, I personally agree that units should call themselves what it says on the tin. However, I will be interetsed to see how this is handled when nPC takes everything North of Manchester. Will they call themselves Scottish even though they are working in both the Scottish and London FIR/UIR?

whowhenwhy
6th Nov 2005, 11:03
As I understood it, the callsign Swanwick Mil was to avoid confusion with London Mil who were only working the east side of the country. I think when the London FIR units are co-located again at Swanwick everyone will keep London Mil as a callsign. D&D will also stay as London Centre when they move. Do you know, I can't remember what LJAOs callsign used to be, I'm sure it wasn't London Mil, perhaps London Mil can remind us?

As far as nPC is concerned, aren't they changing the FIR/UIR boundary as well?

PPRuNe Radar
6th Nov 2005, 11:33
Will they call themselves Scottish even though they are working in both the Scottish and London FIR/UIR?

They already work in large parts of the London FIR/UIR ... with the callsign Scottish ;)

2 sheds
6th Nov 2005, 13:57
...which would all seem to indicate that a little public explanation might be useful. Or have we misssed something?

I still think Swanwick Mil sounds naff though. Couldn't someone have thought up something more sensible - how about resurrecting Southern Radar?

Pie Man
6th Nov 2005, 13:58
Do you know, I can't remember what LJAOs callsign used to be, I'm sure it wasn't London Mil, perhaps London Mil can remind us? w3
It was London Mil.
PM

BDiONU
6th Nov 2005, 15:46
MASOR East are still up at West Drayton and their c/s is London (Mil). LJAO are at Swanwick, hence the c/s to differentiate the two units. Perhaps when MASOR move down to Swanwick in late 2007 the whole lot will be Swanwick (Mil), just as MASOR West was assimilated on its move. Don't think its been decided yet.

Why choose c/s Southern Radar when LJAO also control stuff coming out of EGOV heading for EGNT?

For nPC (and not forgetting MACC) the airspace boundaries will change. NAS Shelf problem anyone? :rolleyes:

moony
7th Nov 2005, 21:13
Personally because it would remind me of the great time I had there (RAF Sopley) between 71 and 73.
moony

beamer
7th Nov 2005, 22:23
Thanks for the replies to my query - it seems that a return to London Mil would go down quite well. As to the whys and wherefores of the location of the controller I could'nt care less whether he is at Swanwick, West Drayton or in a brothel off the Place Pigalle as long as I get the normal excellent standard of service - thanks all.

BDiONU
8th Nov 2005, 07:30
You're quite right, in the air it matters not to you where the controller is located. On the ground its a bit different, especially for units who are not very experienced in talking to 'London Mil' and don't know whether to ring West Drayton or Swanwick :D Hope that clears things up a bit.

BD

BDiONU
20th Dec 2005, 08:11
Decision has finally been made!

When the remainder of London Mil move from West Drayton down to Swanwick (late 2007) the combined unit will be known as Swanwick(Mil), using the voice callsign of London Military.

When the new Scottish Centre opens the current ScATCC(Mil) operation will be renamed Prestwick(Mil) but it will continue to use the voice callsign Scottish Military.

BD