PDA

View Full Version : Dutch CH47 Heavy Landing?

Twinact
4th Nov 2005, 20:46
Believe these pics are of a CH47 caught in heavy down draught.

http://blog.siegnet.us/dutch/index.htm

They were lucky!

:ok:

Lyneham Lad
4th Nov 2005, 20:55
Ouch! Comprehensively CAT 5'd :ooh:

Sven Sixtoo
4th Nov 2005, 21:56
All the running gear looks intact.

Any more details as to how they hit the ground that hard??

Internal shot suggests not much load, and an empty CH47 has so much spare power that it would take extreme conditions to force it down ??

Talking Radalt
4th Nov 2005, 22:17
Can someone grab that centre hook? Looks like a good spare to me.

stickmonkeytamer
5th Nov 2005, 01:09
On July 27 this year, it crashed in the Afghan city Spin Buldak on the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan when it went into insert troops. The aircraft, one of two operating in the area at the time, was responding to reports of enemy activity.
The helicopter was not shot by enemy fire, but the crash was the result of "brown-out conditions". Brown-out conditions is when the rotor kick up dust and debris, reducing the pilots vision- also results in "brown-out" for the inside of the pilots flying suit!!! No one was injured in the incident.

Onan the Clumsy
5th Nov 2005, 03:47
What are those Darth Vader masks they're wearing? Are they normal or is it a part of a punishment?

ORAC
5th Nov 2005, 05:16
So, did they duct tape it up and fly it home? :E

SSOT
5th Nov 2005, 11:26
I've got worse dents in my car! (See movers' thread)

jimgriff
5th Nov 2005, 17:11
So what is the "Darth Vader" kit then?

Techman
5th Nov 2005, 18:01
Try Googling "Maxillofacial shield", and you will find the answer.

Onan the Clumsy
5th Nov 2005, 18:35
So it IS Darth Vader wear

http://www.gentexcorp.com/PDFfiles/MFS.pdf#search='Maxillofacial%20shield'

rolandpull
7th Nov 2005, 00:40
Word on the street has it that no movers were involved, it was professional aircrew. Dear oh dear.........

sprucemoose
7th Nov 2005, 10:10
Stickmonkey:

Are you sure this is the Dutch crash from earlier in the year...

Because the bad news (if you're a Dutch taxpayer!) is that they crashed the replacement aircraft on 31 October! Three injured of 17 onboard, but no fatals thankfully. I can't read the reg on these images, but if it's D-102 then it's the first crash, the latest to go is D-104.

They also wrote off an Apache in Afghanistan early this year, so it's proving an expensive deployment!

hobie
7th Nov 2005, 16:52
....this is what the Blog notes say about the photo's .....

On the 31st of October a Dutch Chinook was flying thru the mountains of Afghanistan and experienced a loss of engine power at 15000ft. The Hook crashed into a mountain bowl located some 20nm north of Baghram. Big Windy was called upon to extract the survivors. Two Chinooks and a Blackhawk were sent up into the mountains to pull them out. No one was killed in the crash but with at least 3 hurt and night fall only hours away the situation would soon turn deadly if the Dutch were not pulled out before dark. Long story short BW went up the hill snatched them off and returned them to Kabul. Here are some photos of the landing site. Pics

Roadster280
7th Nov 2005, 21:36
At least it was a smallish aircraft in operational environment. Not a 747 on an airfield or anything....

Roguedent
8th Nov 2005, 10:43
Is it me, or does it look like the Rotors are going round in the pics. Guess the answer from the Captain was ' don't worry it'll be fine'. At which point they flew the bird back to base for a quick wash and some speed tape..:ok: :ok:

chinook<NL>
15th Nov 2005, 17:56
First one was D-105 and the second one D-104. sadly we lost 2 chinooks :(

buoy15
15th Nov 2005, 21:46
I suspect the ground was a little bit closer than what was set on the RadAlt - Bang!

The BOI will look at (CFTF) "Controlled Flight into Terra Firma"

The Mull of Kintyre may be another example, although others may argue.

winglad
16th Nov 2005, 17:08
Perhaps everyone is thinking to deeply about this incident.Perhaps the real reason for it crashing was that the aircrew were intoxicated with whatever that guy in the mask had been smoking at the Star Wars convention he attended the night before. perhaps he brought some along for the flight and offered it around the cockpit!:sad:

chinook<NL>
19th Nov 2005, 17:48
little correction, the guy with the mask is an american.
Althoug i've seen the mask also at the 298 sqn