PDA

View Full Version : Cargolux / Evergreen and B747-400LCF

rwy24c
4th Nov 2005, 18:33
Cargolux and Evergreen will operate the B747-400LCF together.
Anyone able to confirm this?

MetAl
6th Nov 2005, 07:36
You have a source for this?

I was in New York about 10 days ago, spoke with the old chief pilot from Evergreen.

His out of the loop opinion was that Cargolux was gonna get the whole deal.

Personally, I'm not sure given the current political climate in the US that Boeing would give this contract without some US carrier involvement.

But Evergreen? I like EIA, used to work there and all, but they have zero -400 experience.

More good on them if they get it. :D

Zoner
6th Nov 2005, 18:51
No official announcement as yet. Scuttlebutt is EIA will get 75% of the flying & Cargolux 25%. Both companies want more. -400 bids are out at EIA and classes to start 2006. Other 400's are in the works, or so we are told. 3 more classics coming also. The Old chief pilot is way out of the loop.

CR2
7th Nov 2005, 06:03
I've also heard over the last months that CLX would be getting the deal. One of my mates has been offered a left seat on it. However, no new info on splitting the flying though.

7th Nov 2005, 17:40
Heard problem is the domestic flying the the States. Therefore split deal. Initially CLX was aiming to get it all.

Don't know about split %.

CR2, do you mean specific individuals will be assigned only or will the whole pilot group do the flying?

Have a good ol' day,

CR2
8th Nov 2005, 07:00
744, as far as I understand, individuals. Of course that could change (or not!)
;)

luxfreight
8th Nov 2005, 16:14
CR2 are you saying that an invidual at cv has been offered a seat on a yet to be confirmed contract. I personally think somebody is blowing a lot of hot air here. Apart from all else, I'm pretty sure that it would be offered to all (pilots) before being assigned to anybody.;)

CR2
9th Nov 2005, 07:17
luxfreight, that is exactly what I was told, by the person who was offered it. A very good friend who is not in the habit of telling porkies.
Whether the promise by the high up person who offered it can be fulfilled is of course a different kettle of fish. :suspect:

luxfreight
9th Nov 2005, 15:58
I bet your mate has got seniority No360. I simply don't believe it.There would be hell to play if it where only offered to one indivdual. From what I have heard though, it would mean a basing in Japan and we know what happened the last time the management tried basing people away from good old Lux - all that aside, we as the pilot comunity (I feel)are quite excited about this project. Bring it on!!!:cool:

CR2
10th Nov 2005, 07:02
luxfreight, all I'll say is that seniority number is double digit.

acmi48
11th Nov 2005, 13:12
reg will remain N..this may provide some point of discussion on the issue

the concept tho is exciting but converting a 20 year old a/c to fly for another 8 plus years .. ground handling of this bird with all its equipment will be interesting..loading wings in strong winds at nagoya :-)

CR2
11th Nov 2005, 13:38
Funny that acmi, I was talking to someone today about this.
N-reg/owned by Boeing is the sticky bit for us, as not many of our peeps have FAA licences.
EV would fly Japan-SEA, CV would fly Italy-SEA. EV want CV's help to train crews on the -400.
All up in the air again.
PS: 4 a/c to be converted.

Grunf
11th Nov 2005, 23:28
CR2,
not yet decided firmly, for the forth one. It is "hanging".

Cheers,

Buster Hyman
12th Nov 2005, 01:00
Enough room for a Loadmaster Ratty?

Beaver Driver
12th Nov 2005, 05:35
What about the Charleston and Witchita stops?

CargoMatatu
12th Nov 2005, 12:54
Buster

Get to the back of the queue, Mate;)

May the Matatu be with you.

Matatu Man:cool:

Buster Hyman
13th Nov 2005, 01:37
...:ooh: ...You'd queue for it Matatu???http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/burr.gif

SMOC
15th Dec 2005, 17:42
Evergreen International Airlines, Inc. to Operate Boeing 747 Large Cargo Freighters

SEATTLE, Dec. 15, 2005 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] announced today that it has selected Evergreen International Airlines, Inc. to operate the 747 Large Cargo Freighter (LCF) fleet, comprising specially modified 747-400 jets that will transport major assemblies for the all-new Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

Evergreen International Airlines, Inc. (EIA) is a subsidiary of Evergreen International Aviation, Inc. and has performed passenger and cargo services around the globe for more than 30 years. EIA has overall responsibility for the operation of the LCF fleet. It will fly routes to and from the U.S. and Japan.

Evergreen has named Cargolux as a subcontractor to fly routes from Europe. Cargolux currently operates a fleet of 14 747-400 freighters. Sojitz Corp. of America has been chosen by Evergreen to coordinate logistics and other services for Japanese routes. Sojitz will establish an overall plan for receiving and transporting 787 components from Boeing's Japanese partners, and will be the interface between Centrair and Nagoya airports.

Story:
http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2005/q4/051214a_nr.html

Pic:
http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2005/q4/051214a_pr.html

Zoner
16th Dec 2005, 03:31
http://www.evergreenaviation.com/

ferrydude
17th Dec 2005, 07:24
I'm always amazed at how little those "in the know" actually do know. Also amazed in the confidence level of those who actually thought CLX had a chance of receiving this contract.

CR2
18th Dec 2005, 15:49
ferrydude: who do you think will train the EV people? They're not exactly noted as having 400 experience.

ferrydude
18th Dec 2005, 23:13
It won't be CLX, my brother in law's uncle's housekeeper who has inside info told me so. You reckon CLX is the only outfit capable of training the -400? Amusing.

luxfreight
19th Dec 2005, 15:41
You are a great wind up ferrydude, if you look closly at the evergreen signing ceremony you will note our great leader (if you know who he is). He was there to sign a training contract or that's what I heard from your uncles dog! :E

ferrydude
20th Dec 2005, 11:20
You should look for more reliable sources than meUncle's dog. I think you will find that your fearless leader was there to sign as a suncontractor to Evergreen and that CLX crews will be doing the European to US flights only. Do you have a valid reference for CLX providing training to Evergreen other than what you interpreted from a photo?

Zoner
20th Dec 2005, 19:07
Evergreen has an agreement with UAL to house and maintain our classic sim in Denver and it would not surprise me if we did the same with the 400. I do know that our management pilots have been flying the 400 sim at Denver. It's possible some sort of agreement may have been made with CLX but the odds are long.

JamesA
22nd Dec 2005, 12:22
Perhaps I am missing the point, But, why shouldn't Evergreen have the Boeing contract? After all they are a known cargo carrier and if you folks had been following the aviation press - you would know they got the contract to convert the a/c for Boeing. It seems natural to me, they would fly them afterwards.
As for lack of -400 experience, how many experts were there before 1987? Suddenly everybody and his dog has been peddaling -400s from the cradle. I expect them to learn same as everybody else. Good luck to them.

No connection to Evergreen - psst EIA any jobs going???

Clarence Oveur
22nd Dec 2005, 14:47
Don't confuse Evergreen in the US with Evergreen in Taiwan. Same name, different companies.

WhaleDriver
22nd Dec 2005, 14:50
The Evergreen converting the planes is the Taiwan Evergreen. Two differant company's.

The point being, IT'S NOT 1987 and there is company's with a lot of -400 experience out there. Why pick one with NONE!

luxfreight
22nd Dec 2005, 17:17
I think the straight answer to that is that they are AMERICAN. The pilot unions there would not tollerate european pilots flying N registed planes internally (I guess we're not up to it). But this starts another argument with regard to them (Americans) flying european reg a/c ref Thomas Cook. If there where a level playing field I think Cargolux would got the whole contract. As it is at the moment Evergreen will be tapping into the experience that CLX has. Which probably explains why they have been brought on board as a contractor.

sidman
22nd Dec 2005, 21:26
I think EIA picked up this contract because there sales team and the owner of the company did there home work and put together
a better deal for boeing. I know the Atlas/Polar guys don't understand how they did not get it being they have 747-400's but they did not have -400's till they got the first one!!! I would look for EIA to get some 400F's soon...

blackbaron
23rd Dec 2005, 00:35
Congrats EIA!!! new business obviously went to the contractor that put the best financial proposal (most likely in Boeing's favor)on the table and I am sure Boeing weighed all the viable options out there and selected Evergreen plus there are alot of -400's in the desert that they would love to see back in the air with a lease attached, its not about who "HAS" -400's its about who "Doesnt" so Boeing can get its mothballed jets back in the sky. Look at World Airways getting into -400 game.

Look a lil deeper than the logo on the tail its about MONEY!! although competitive company ego's by some wont let it been seen that way.

Congrats Again EIA, fly the hell out of the "bent wing bastard"

Banzai Beagle
23rd Dec 2005, 03:16
Luxfreight: If this were about being American Evergreen would have picked someone besides Cargolux as partner. As for experience Evergreen has been doing this type of work since 1924. No big deal integrating the 400 into the fleet.

Whaledriver: Evergreen had 11-14 people at each meeting with Boeing. System ops, Flight Ops, you name it. Every effected department was there. Atlas averged 1 or 2 at each meeting. What message do you think Boeing got?

CR2
24th Dec 2005, 09:26
Well, I'm pretty sure we'll work fine together. EV has flown for CV in the past and it worked out just fine. I can say out of personal experience that it was hassle free, which I cannot say about some of the other that have flown for us over the years
Merry Christmas to you all.

PS, can anyone in the know clear something up for me: these aircraft are to be N registered (as far as I understand) - how do CLX pilots with JAR licences get to fly them? acmi48 mentioned it earlier on in the thead. Some kind of special dispensation?