PDA

View Full Version : ATC "Cleared Direct to ........."

Ejector
3rd Nov 2005, 23:28
When departing an controlled airport and
ATC says "Cleared Direct to ....(a point on a outbound radial)..." Say you are IFR, and maybe 2NM upwind not on your out bound track and radar identified. Do you have to go from present position Direct to the point nominated or are you to come back around and intercept the outbound radial within 5nm then direct like at a non controlled airport out in the sticks?

Any references would be good too.

cessna 152 pilot
4th Nov 2005, 00:18
If you are leaving a control zone and the ATC calls you up ans says that you are direct to .... surley he can see on the screen that it is clear to where he says or he would say return to airfield before taking track .....

I only think but am not 100% sure

Ejector
4th Nov 2005, 00:22
I was also kind of referring to is it only if RNAV equipped? Then if not you would have to intercept the radial wouldn’t you?

cessna 152 pilot
4th Nov 2005, 00:42
True i woud just fly direct to the radial that the ATC told you.

Even if you are incorrect in doing this the ATC would soon ask you to return to where he wanted you.

DirectAnywhere
4th Nov 2005, 00:42
Clearance is to track direct to the position.

If not RNAV equipped ask for clearance to take up a heading to intercept the radial.

C152 pilot, no!!! You are in breach of your clearance if tracking to intercept without clearance to do so. Especially dangerous if in non-radar CTA.

cessna 152 pilot
4th Nov 2005, 00:52
Sorry i meant with a clearence

but what Direct anywhere said

Green on, Go!
4th Nov 2005, 10:16
I'm assuming here that you are either an IFR flight that has been cleared via a visual departure or are given tracking instructions to join track (ie because a SID, procedural or radar, is not available) or you are a VFR flight.

The applicale reference is AIP ENR 1.1 para 7.3:

Establishment on Track
Unless tracking via a SID or otherwise instructed by ATC, a pilot in command must remain within 5NM of the depature aerodrome to establish flight on the departure track as soon as practicable after take-off.

My belief is that you are cleared from point to point ie departure aerodrome to first outbound point, not 2NM upwind to first outbound point. The procedure above gives you the flex to turn towards and establish on track in a reasonable time frame and not have to depart from overhead. If, however, you are 2NM upwind in the radar environment and, having just given your departure report, the departures controller says something like '...IDENTIFIED, RECLEARED DIRECT (position)...' then absolutely, go for it. Otherwise you need to intercept the radial within 5NM.

In the radar environment, at least I'll see you doing otherwise and correct it because airspace boundaries for things like live-fire and air weapons ranges etc are based on you being on track and not 1-2NM left or right of it. In the non-radar environment, I probably won't see you do it however ATC procedural separation standards are based on you establishing on track within 5NM as specified above, although there are generous tolerances built in to the standards.

I can see how some ambiguity can be read into the AIP reference however what I've written is what I (and all my grubby mates) are expecting you to do on departure.

Hope that helps:)

topdrop
4th Nov 2005, 10:57
Prior to departure you would have had a clearance that was via the radial or via a SID to a point on the radial.
Airborne and cleared direct to ... means just that you track direct to... I work Approach and direct to ... is just what I want you to do. If I wanted you to stay on the predeparture clearance I would not have said anything.
You don't have to be RNAV approved to track direct to ... in radar coverage. I regularly give direct tracking to acft with GPS but not RNAV approved. We are required to monitor your nav and will advise any deviations. If you are given tracking which you can't comply with (no GPS) then just let us know you can't comply and request a heading to intercept the radial or ask for vectors to that point.