PDA

View Full Version : RN Pilot Grading

proudfishead
3rd Nov 2005, 21:07
Am about to undertake RN Pilot Grading at Plymouth. Having spent the last six years driving and navigating warships the thought of re-entering the training pipeline is slightly daunting.

I am looking to gain as much information on grading as possible. Tutor checklists would be very useful. Have PPL with a couple of hundred hours and have managed to blag a few flights with some RAF QFIs. Start in two weeks and am trying to get some time with CFS at Cranwell.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

:D

AllTrimDoubt
3rd Nov 2005, 21:38
You will be taught all you need on the course and assessed accordingly! Pitch up, listen up and perform!

UberPilot
3rd Nov 2005, 22:48
Why did you join the Navy?

proudfishead
3rd Nov 2005, 23:13
All sorts of reasons. I'm sure the reasons that I joined aren't the same reasons that I'm still in. Always fancied the forces applied to both the Navy and Marines, start date for the Navy came up first. And sadly I'm one of those strange breed of people that quite enjoy being at sea.

airborne_artist
4th Nov 2005, 08:26
The whole point of grading is that it should level the playing field, so it is purely looking for a level of potential, and the ability to reailise that potential, rather than looking for skill, and testing that skill.

With 200 hours you might have been taught badly/slipped into bad habits, so perhaps the best thing you can do is to clear your mind of all the detail, and focus on what you are being taught at Roborough.

Grading used to consist of the first 12-13 hours of a standard service flying training course - I did 7 sorties starting with effects of controls, and then 4.5 hours of circuits, followed by 10 mins of solo taildragger time in WD374 in November 78.

I had about 40 hours when I went - but I can honestly say it made no difference.

Data-Lynx
4th Nov 2005, 08:33
It always worth grabbing a spare flight so keep trying as it does boost confidence in the air, keeps your eyes outside the cockpit and helps to generate a healthy perception of what is around you. However, do heed the advice above and play it cool at Roborough. Enjoy it.

Bob Viking
4th Nov 2005, 08:38
As you will know from my profile, I am not a navy pilot. I wear a different shade of blue.
Not that I'm saying you will, but don't go there thinking you know it all. I knew several people at JEFTS who thought they did and didn't perform anywhere near as well as they, or others, expected.
Just listen to what you're told, and with your level of experience I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.
BV:ok:

6Z3
4th Nov 2005, 08:39
Can't see any harm in ringing 727 and asking for some advice. Their aim is to assess your potential to progress through the next stages of the flying training pipeline. They are all highly experienced ex-military instructors; they need to be in order to be able take account of the widely differing baselines of the various individuals - differences include previous flying experience and age/maturity.

Study the map and get to know the local area features and land marks around Plymouth. This will help to get you familiar with your environment early and boost your awareness in the air.