PDA

View Full Version : Fake Photo's ......

hobie
2nd Nov 2005, 18:19
We have all run into fake aircraft photo's (sometimes even posted on PPRuNe) ..... is it possible to take apart fraud photo's using somethink like Paint Shop Pro 7 etc, by exposing layers used or similar? ......

Here is a recent example ........ http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/quartermilefinal/antonov1lo.jpg

Conan the Librarian
2nd Nov 2005, 18:34
You won't do it by layers, if they have all been merged "flat" to save the picture. Often, a give away is just visual, where the artiste has overlooked something, such as a single shadow maybe. However, if you really blow it up, you might find discrepancies in outlines, where a selection has missed a few pixels etc.

The easiest check is to see if there is any EXIF information with the shot. If there is, then you are almost certainly looking at the real thing.

Conan

Bahn-Jeaux
3rd Nov 2005, 22:51
Actually, the photo isnt fake.
Its an Antonov 225, the worlds largest plane.

INFO
Antonov An-225 "Mriya" is the world's largest aircraft. When it was built, it surpassed any airliner built before by 50%. It was designed for the transportation of the Russian Space Shuttle "Buran" by the Antonov Design Bureau (HQ in Kiev, Ukraine), which already had built good and large cargo aircraft such as the Antonov An-124 "Ruslan". The basic configuration of the An-225 is the same as the An-124, except the An-225 is longer, has no rear ramp/door assembly, and incorporates a 32-wheel landing gear system (two nose and fourteen main wheel bogies, seven per side, each with two wheels).

See here (http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=389)

Saab Dastard
3rd Nov 2005, 23:37
Yes, but what is it doing at Dublin Airport?

(Apart from landing) ;)

That's my home town!

It must be a fake photo - I don't remember sunshine and blue skies in Dublin - it is always raining! :p

SD

hafez
4th Nov 2005, 10:58
If you look in the Spectators Balcony (Spotters Corner) you'll see that the guy who posted it just postd it as a joke and was photoshopped in, I think hobie wants to know how to figure out if a picture is fake or not, For me its always looking around the edges of the thing that looks fake in the picture like the An-225 in the above one. If you look just by the wheels you can see a colour difference where it wasnt cut properly ;)

hobie
4th Nov 2005, 18:02
I think hobie wants to know how to figure out if a picture is fake or not

hafez, that's my question ..... :ok:

Conan the Librarian
4th Nov 2005, 22:49
Cursory glance shows nothig untoward really. I would want to have a look at a much larger copy to find those defects or artifacts.

Mind you, why think it is a fake? I believe the 225 and 124 are a it short on range/payload and Dublin or Shannon would be a logical tech stop in my thoughts, if headed pondwards.

Conan

Hamrah
4th Nov 2005, 23:51
The " fake" giveaway is the sun angle.

On the AN225 the sun appears to be in the west ( the runway in Dublin is orienated 10/28), but on the radar globe behind the terminal, the sun is shining from the east.

H

BOAC
5th Nov 2005, 08:19
All you 'fundi' may wish to know that the inestimable 'Spectators' Balcony' has a thread on this very topic.:D :D

Conan the Librarian
5th Nov 2005, 10:22
Well spotted Hamrah. Just the sort of thing you need to find.

Conan

BOAC
5th Nov 2005, 14:08
Now THERE'S a man who knows where the sun shines:D :D