PDA

View Full Version : Going over to the dark side; idiot guide needed

flapsforty
1st Nov 2005, 18:34
After many years of lusting in vain, the urge to go Apple fanned by Danny, Rob's and Squiddie's enthusiasm, I have finally bought myself an iBook G4.

Installled the airport express base station & it works.
Have spent hours on the net trying to find a tutorial on how to actually work a mac. Without any luck so far..

I feel entirely handicapped. The simplest actions, like copying & pasting a bit of text, having several windows open at the same time, getting back to my home page, increasing the size of my browser page to fit the whole screen.... it all eludes me.

There's courses for people like me offered by the store where I bought it, but thanks to a rather busy work roster I haven't got a chance in hell of attending one before january. Am planning to order mr Pogues books, but I'd like to start learning N O W ;)
Is there anyone here who knows where I can find a userguide for total idiots? :uhoh: :uhoh:

amanoffewwords
1st Nov 2005, 18:42
Danny, Rob's and Squiddie

Is that the latest boy band? :)

Have you looked at the 'get me started' pages on the Apple site ? http://www.apple.com/support/mac101

Not a Mac person myself I hasten to add...

amofw

Memetic
1st Nov 2005, 22:03
I'm not a Mac user either but on the few occasions I have tangled with one, pressing the apple key (With an apple and a sort fo 4 leaf clover) seemed to bring up useful menus etc.

Binoculars
2nd Nov 2005, 07:51
Flappy, I haven't got there yet, but from the old Mac I've been playing around with I would suggest the tutorial in Mac Help would be a good place to start. It's not brilliant, but it certainly covers the basics you mentioned, and it has a section for those switching from PC's and giving you the Mac equivalents of what you have been used to.

WeatherJinx
2nd Nov 2005, 15:57
A warm welcome from the dark side Falps!

To help you along a little, many of the basic keystrokes are actually the same on a Mac as in WinBlows, except that you should use the 'Cmd' (Command) key (also known as the 'Apple key - the one with the Apple logo, to right and left of the spacebar), instead of Ctrl.

Thus, Copy is Cmd-C, Paste Cmd-V and so on. Cmd-W closes windows, Cmd-O opens them. The Command key also invokes the right-click function if you're using a one-button mouse with the lappy.

Once you get used to those basic differences, you should be on your way! You're more than welcome to PM me if you need help with anything specific :)