PDA

View Full Version : Focus Problem When Taking Digital Camera Pictures

Henry The Octopus
1st Nov 2005, 12:36
Occasionally when taking photos with my digital camera, particularly in flight, the camera focusses on the windscreen rather than the object I am trying to photograph. Other than a clean windscreen (which doesn't always solve the problem) can anyone suggest a way around this please. There is no manual focus option that I can find.

My camera is a Kodak DX6340. Otherwise I am very happy with it.

Thanks in anticipation.

Henry

Conan the Librarian
1st Nov 2005, 14:54
Does it suppport manual focus or have an override? If not, try cupping your hand around the lens, to cut stray reflections that the camera might want to lock on to.

A bigger problem might be the colour cast that you can often get through that window. Optically flat, it ain't!

Conan

Jet II
2nd Nov 2005, 17:11
The Landscape shooting mode fixes focus at infinity, for distant subjects and scenery so it won't try and focus on the window.

Farmer 1
2nd Nov 2005, 17:25
You must realise that cameras - not just digital ones - are not all that clever. When you look through a window, you don't have to think about it, you automatically focus on what is outside.

When you aim a camera through a window, it focuses on what you aim it at, i.e. the window.

In order to focus it correctly, you need to control the automatic focus. There is probably more than one way of doing it, but Jet II's suggestion is probably the simplest.

Do you still have the user manual? If not, you should be able to download it. I'm sure it will explain it there better than I can.