PDA

View Full Version : I'd rather be a pilot!

young_lad
1st Nov 2005, 02:56
We were having a discussion today in the crewroom about OASC and what we all put down as our preferred branch options. It became apparent that all of us put down Pilot first (obviously) and so we started to think. Has anyone ever put down Nav as their first choice?

Unlikely we thought. Comments?

stickmonkeytamer
1st Nov 2005, 03:58
I applied 1. Nav 2. ALM 3. Pilot -seemed a good idea at the time... I was young and an SAC- and went against the recommendations from my Sqn Ldr... Never mind!

Sven Sixtoo
1st Nov 2005, 10:41
I applied 1 Engineer Officer
2 Pilot.

But that was because at the time you could get a Cadetship leading to a 5-yr Short Service Commission as an Engineer.

OASC were most put out when I told them where to shove their offer of a PC as an Engineer.

I got the SSC

Then I found out what Engineer Officers mostly do in the RAF.

They were OK about it when halfway through IOT I said "Can I be a pilot now please?"

Still here 28 years later.

Sven

Talking Radalt
1st Nov 2005, 10:52
Mine went:

1. Astronaut
2. James Bond
3. Lion tamer
4. Aircrew (any)

:O

UberPilot
1st Nov 2005, 10:57
Assuming you want to fly, the ONLY reason to put WSO first woudl be if you're unsure of your medical status, or to old for Pilot.

It makes no sense to say I want to fly and be aircrew - but not be the best!

ORAC
1st Nov 2005, 11:03
Mine were all ground branches, but then I wear a couple of bottle bottoms over my eyes. Still, got to spend my career telling aircrew where to go..... ;)

Talking Radalt
1st Nov 2005, 11:10
It makes no sense to say I want to fly and be aircrew - but not be the best! Hmmm, fair point, but I ain't never heard a pilot dictate to the crewman where he'd like the aircraft to be positioned ;)

Set Me Free
1st Nov 2005, 14:53
1. ALM
2. Pilot

OASC were very curious as to the order, explained it was because i wanted to get involved in more diverse tasks than just be a taxi driver, they were happy with that but I failed my eye sight tests.

6Z3
1st Nov 2005, 15:45
To put a FAA spin on it, there are very good career reasons why one might wish to be the one that 'fights' the battle from the air as opposed to the one that gets the airframe to the required vantage point and back again safely.

Just look at the hierachy of the FAA and you will see a very high proportion of Observers.

UberPilot
1st Nov 2005, 15:50
"Just look at the hierachy of the FAA and you will see a very high proportion of Observers"

Surely this is as all the Pilots leave and fly for BA. The Observers, one would assume, cannot find better civilian employment, hence have to stay for the career.

6Z3
1st Nov 2005, 16:01
Uberpilot,

Yes, I think you are partially right.

However in today's modern aircraft (Civilian as well as Military) the job of the 'driver' is as a mission systems manager, and this is increasingly seen as something that the Observer does best.

Indeed I know the airlines are increasingly interested in recruiting Observers as airline pilots. So as well as having a better grip (than pilots) on the wider Warfare aspects of the job in the RN, they're also well suited to compete with pilots for the airlines.

Taffer
1st Nov 2005, 19:33
Plus, they're also used to sitting in the left hand seat!

Quite a few people I've met when applying for FAA aircrew have been going for Observer, both for the challenging nature of the job and also the simple fact that there are more spaces for Observers at the moment - 17 observer places at the next BRNC intake, as opposed to 8 for pilot.

I've also heard rumours that potential observers are being looked at for JSF after flight grading, as it is easier to train an observer to then be a pilot, rather than vice versa.

I'm sure the stick jockeys will have something to say about this though.........

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Nov 2005, 00:02
Mine went

1. Observer
2. Sunday Times
3. The Exchange and Mart

They were going to put me in Supplies until they saw #3

southside
2nd Nov 2005, 06:41
I wanted to be a Phantom Observer but the buggers removed them from service before I could get in one.

Tourist
2nd Nov 2005, 09:46
But at least they gave you your second choice southside.
I am assuming that your second choice was :-
Prat who talks about a lot of sujects from a position of no knowledge.

heights good
2nd Nov 2005, 17:03
My choices :-

1. ALM

Never wanted anything else, got really good scores and asked why i never put pilot on my form. Gave them the party line about doing it a later date etc. etc. Too much like hard work being a front ender. :)

Heights Good

farmer113
3rd Nov 2005, 08:30
i wanted to be a profesional disco dancer... but since the accident of '98....

Toxteth O'Grady
3rd Nov 2005, 10:46
Oh, sod it! I never wanted to be a pilot in the first place!
I... I wanted to be...

A LUMBERJACK!

Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia!
With my best girl by my side!
The Larch!
The Pine!
The Giant Redwood tree!
The Sequoia!

:cool:

TOG

Good Mickey
3rd Nov 2005, 19:28
My advice to anyone 'joining up' was ALM/Pilot...... in no particular order. Nothing else comes close. That was then, this is now and unfortunately you can no longer join as ALM you have to take your chances with WSOp

GM

sarmonkey
5th Nov 2005, 13:16
Indeed I know the airlines are increasingly interested in recruiting Observers as airline pilots. So as well as having a better grip (than pilots) on the wider Warfare aspects of the job in the RN, they're also well suited to compete with pilots for the airlines.
Am I the only one soiling himself with laughter at this random declaration?! Which airlines? Air Burundi? Ulan Bator Airways? Oooh, must dash, I've got Richard Branson on the line offering me a captaincy because of my grip on my wider warfare....

Bismark
5th Nov 2005, 13:40
Taffer,

Last I heard the trial of Obs going through JEFTS is proving v successful - but they must achieve FJ selection or return to O School. The big issue for the future is mental capacity rather than pure stick skills when flying aircraft where the most likely control response is "Computer says no!" - Is this not what happened with Typhoon at RIAT this year.

Sarmonkey,

There are plenty of ex-Obs fying for BA etc. They tend to be v good at CRM etc unlike single seat jet jockeys who have never heard of CRM.

sarmonkey
5th Nov 2005, 15:57
My amusement came from the rash and fictitious statement that the airlines are 'increasingly interested'. The airlines are interested in you, but only after you've gone and self-funded your license, and hours-built on fixed-wing, by which time you'll be eligible for a low-earning job on turbo-props, unless you fancy shelling out 20 grand for a type rating. Yes, I know all about the CRM and the airmanship that hundreds of happy hours of obs-ing provided - and they're worth nothing. You'll have an edge over the wet-behind -the-ears newbie, but he'll have the edge of lower expectations and a longer working life.

Sorry, subject change mode and rant mode now disengaged.

And, BTW, I've sat in both seats.