PDA

View Full Version : Ripping from DVD

Conan the Librarian
31st Oct 2005, 21:34
Any experts out there? The chap standing next to me at the Fairford Air Tattoo has this morning sent me a compilation of his footage from the event, including the Typhoon incident. It is very interesting and I would like to somehow rip it from the DVD, resize and hopefully offer the clip on Pprune.

Surprisingly, I have little experience of DVDs and their structure, let alone file formats, etc. so any assistance will be appreciated

Many T's in advance.

Conan

Hobgoblin
1st Nov 2005, 03:59
Look on www.majorgeeks.com for a program called DVD shrink. Very good and handy to have. After copying you can use Nero to burn your backup.

Conan the Librarian
1st Nov 2005, 11:15
That looks like a perfect answer and on download, can see that it is well worth having on your system, so thanks V much HobGoblin. Only catch is that the original DVD cannot be read and analysed. I got the same problem through another program as well. The DVD plays in the PC with no problem and I suspect that the problem is just in the authoring of the original. I am going to try a few other things and will report back.

The Typhoon clip is taken from almost head on and is the only clip that I have seen that shows the apparently enormous descent rate and just how lucky the pilot was to get away with it.. I really hope that I can get it available to others.

Keep those thoughts coming!

Thanks,

Conan

Canary Boy
1st Nov 2005, 13:09
Try:http://dvd-copy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/?ttreng=1&ttrkey=dvd+rip

Jet II
1st Nov 2005, 14:35
You might want to get permission before you start pasting this film over the internet - even if its a private film the guy still owns the copyright.

Conan the Librarian
1st Nov 2005, 14:50
Thanks Jet - I have it :-)

It looks as though there is a slight error on the authoring of the disk, which is stopping it from reading properly, even though it plays well on the PC. Believe it or not, the basic CDRW/DVD prog Roxio 6 can import vob or inf files from disk. I have had this program for a long time, but never thought about using it this way before. Sadly, it still doesn't work on this job! :-)

Conan

Daysleeper
1st Nov 2005, 16:59
If you use a mac then the aptly named "mac the ripper" does a cracking job.