PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card upgrade....... any thoughts?

None of the above
31st Oct 2005, 19:00
The graphics card in this PC (nVidia GeForce 2 MX/MX400) is now four years old and I think it is time for an upgrade eg: it tends to struggle with Google Earth in flying mode.

I would be grateful for any advice as to suitable replacements. The processor is an AMD Sempron 2800+ on an MSI KM4M motherboard. I do not use the machine for games or flight sim progs, so top end cards aren't required, but something that isn't always working at the limits of its capability would fit the bill.

Any thoughts Gentlemen, please?

Ta,

N o t a

Saab Dastard
31st Oct 2005, 21:30
Well, state of the art is PCI-express (which your MOBO doesn't support), and the fastest cards are around the £250 mark.

Previous generation Radeon or GeForce are AGP 8X and will set you back about £100 +/- a tenner or so (new). This will get you a card with at least 128 MB VRAM, DVI and TV-out as well as std. VGA.

Is there any point in getting an earlier generation AGP 4X? Depends on the price - you might pick up something better than your current card for £30 - £50, but it will become (more) obsolete quicker!

SD

None of the above
1st Nov 2005, 20:24
Many thanks for that, SD. That's given me some food for thought but, my, how things have moved on in the last four years!

Ta,

N o t a :ok:

terrain safe
1st Nov 2005, 21:33
try this! (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=98265) . Should do you for a while without breaking the bank.:cool:

None of the above
2nd Nov 2005, 13:54
Thanks t s......

I'm applying the grey matter to this one as we speak............ well, as I type actually!

N o t a

Ta! :ok: