PDA

View Full Version : LHR TO BASLE CIRCA 1960ish

napoleon
30th Oct 2005, 12:49
When I was 14ish and Im 58 now I went to Switzerland on a school organised trip. We flew to Basel in a Viscount from LHR and returned in a Viking some 10 days later. Im sure the tour company was AIR tours. I seem to remember that it was shortly after a Viking (m,aybe the same company) carrying pupils from Lanfranck school crashed killing all on board. Another point I cant work out: we the kids never had passports only the teachers had passports how was that done?

Golf Charlie Charlie
30th Oct 2005, 14:45
<<<
.....we the kids never had passports only the teachers had passports how was that done?
>>>

Am pretty sure in those days it was possible for a group of minors travelling together under school or other group supervision to do so on some sort of inclusive "group" visa/passport document.

PaperTiger
30th Oct 2005, 15:03
The Lanfranc crash was a Cunard Eagle Viking in August of 1961:
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19610809-1

I can't find any Viking operator called Airtours (or any airline at all of that name).
Air Safaris perhaps ?

napoleon
30th Oct 2005, 17:56
Paper Tiger. The tour company that chaperoned us around Switzerland was A.I.R. Tours for sure does that help any?.........the Viscount and Viking were probably chartered. We were 28 minors and I dont remember any document in the hands of the teacher.

spekesoftly
31st Oct 2005, 08:41
we the kids never had passports only the teachers had passports how was that done?

Collective Passports (http://www.passport.gov.uk/_1_applications/1_collective.asp) are still an option for approved groups of School children etc.

In years gone by, it was quite usual for parents to include their offspring on their passports, but that option was abolished some time ago. As a consequence, many more youngsters now hold their own individual passport.

napoleon
31st Oct 2005, 13:12
spekesoftly thank you for that info I can now add more detail to another chapter of my life. I hope some one comes up with info on A.I.R. tours the owner was named Roberts I seem to remember.

Golf Charlie Charlie
31st Oct 2005, 21:04
Could the operator possibly be Autair, which did operate Vikings ? Autair was the company which later became Court Line.

MReyn24050
1st Nov 2005, 12:09
In 1960 Air Safaris operated a fleet of 4 Vikings and 1 Hermes with a maintenance base at Bournemouth (Hurn) airport, flying IT Charter Flights. However, the airline may have been Air Ferry. Air Ferry operated 5 Viking 1B. In the early 1960s the company flew both charters and regional services. In 1964 the airline, now part of Air Holdings moved from RAF Manston to Gatwick. By 1967 they were using a Viscount 812 only to cease operations on 31 October 1968.

Air Ferry's original parent company was Leroy Tours.

Napolean

Do these trigger a memory?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Aircraft/2pln2030.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Aircraft/2pln1695.jpg

Golf Charlie Charlie
1st Nov 2005, 16:18
Ah, yes, Air Ferry. They acquired some short-term notoriety for 2 fatal DC-4 crashes in 1967.

bean
2nd Nov 2005, 06:49
Mreyn24050

Just to set the record straight on Air Ferry

Company was owned by Wing Commander Hugh Kennard & after various machinations , was bought by Air Holdings in 1964. (kennard shortly thereafter set up Invicta at Manston).
Air Ferry remained based at Manston until the end. The final fleet consistedof two DC4's Two DC6's which had been transferred from British United & two Viscounts leased from Channel Airways for the summer of 1968 only.
Company was slowly wound down by by Air Holdings in 1968 but never went out of business in terms of insolvency.
Hope I don't sound pedantic but little inaccuracies often get repeated & eventually become accepted as fact.

Golf Charlie Charlie

Quite correct about the DC4 accidents. One of the occured just hours before the British Midlan Argonaut disater at Stockport. The effect of these two disaster within hours triggered a special review of independent airline safety-a copy of which I have.

Back to the main subject, it is more than probable that the airline which operated LHR-BSL was Cunard Eagle. LHR was their main base & they did indeed lose a Viking at Stavanger in 1961 with,sasly total loss of life

MReyn24050
2nd Nov 2005, 06:57
Golf Charlie Charlie

You are I believe partially correct. Air Ferry did indeed loose a DC4 in 1967 with the loss of live for all souls aboard. It was in fact a C-54A Registration G-APKY. The accident occurred at Mt. Canigou France. The aircraft crashed on the approach after carbon monoxide fumes overcame the crew.

There were a total of four DC4 variants lost that year together with one Canadair Argonaut. The other three DC4 were all foreign operators the Argonaut G-ALHG belonged to British Midland Airways it crashed at Stockport killing all on board.

Bean

Forgive the duplication, I must have been typing whilst you posted. I certainly do not think you are being pedantic and fully appreciate the need for accuracy. Many thanks for your imput.

Air Ferry G-APKY crashed 03 June 1967
BMA G-ALHG crashed 04 June 1967

Also agree that the Airline was most probably Cunard Eagle.