PDA

View Full Version : Frozen ATPL - the real cost

Dude~
29th Oct 2005, 16:28
Hi,

If anyone is interested I'll happily post some data about the cost of obtaining my Frozen ATPL this summer in the UK. That is, the real outlay to obtain the ATPL theory, CPL, IR, MCC, flight tests, CAA fees and all the little extras that come along.

I had a PPL-Multi and 240 hrs at the start, so no hour building was required, but other than that it is likely to be similar for everyone else.

Edit; OK BlueVolta, here we are;

Mod 1 theory....................£1100
Mod 1 accommodation.......£340 (Brush up and exam accom)
Mod 1 exams fee...............£440
CRP5.................................£70
Mod 2 theory pack.............£800
Mod 2 accommodation.......£450
Mod 2 exam fees...............£330
ATPL Theory Total.........£3530

Initial Class 1...............£400
Class 1 renewal...........£100

CPL 25 hr course...........£4600
CAA CPL test fee...........£637
Test aircraft hire............£370
Accom 3 weeks..............£100 (Camping! Not recommended for the IR)
CPL Total...................£5700

IR 50 hr course................£9900
IR CAA test fee................£637
Accommodation 6 wks......£550
CAA CPL-IR issue fee.......£194
IR Total.......................£11280
(aircraft hire for test was included in my package, otherwise budget for 2 hrs twin engine aircraft hire approx £500)

MCC...............................£2820 (Full motion jet simulator)

Total Cost for ATPL theory, CPL-IR and MCC............£23830
(This is with first time passes in all flight tests, with a PPL and at least minimum hours required for licence issue prior to starting commercial training.)

Also, most people will have to add approx £2000 for a MEP multi engine piston rating, plus LST (Licence test).

I did not include petrol because that varies hugely between people.

I didn't personally budget for getting a partial or fail in the flight tests but I having seen people faced with huge extra bills. I would recommend anticipating at least a partial in the CPL and IR. This means a retest fee of about £450 plus aircraft hire for a partial retest, plus extra training if required. Imagine not being able to get the money to retake a flight test? What a waste to get so far and not afford to finish.

All landing fees and approaches were inclusive in my case, but this may not be the case in all places.

(The approx total to date, for my frozen JAR-FCL ATPL from zero is a smidgen under £40k, but I did do my PPL in the US 7 years ago)

Hope this helps.

BlueVolta
29th Oct 2005, 17:36
Hi,

I would be interested just to know what is the real cost and not the one that you find in all advertisements!

geordiejet
29th Oct 2005, 18:32
not exactly sure of the whole hog, but ive got 100 hours, ppl, night multi, and stage one of the ATPL course:

Medical:£360,
Expenses:£120,
Visa:£300,
Expenses; £80,
ATPL Prep course; £7040.
Transport: £590
Living Expenses: £600,
Extra tuition; £600,
Licence Issue feed £350.
ATPL module 1: £1100.
Module 1 Exams: £385
Accommodation During Exams: £280
Travel: £50
Expenses: £100.

=£11995.

As you can see, there are a lot of extras, which are not that obvious when you first glance at the shiney brochures. I estimate another £22000, bringing the total to about £34000. Not to mention the cost of interest, loan administration charges, and further licence fees and keeping current. Remember, each individual will be different.

Pace152
29th Oct 2005, 19:13
Yo GeordieJet, Pace152 here ;)

Have you done your stage 1 ATPL exams now?

Good on ya!! That was pretty quick. How did they go? Were they as difficult as everyone says?