PDA

View Full Version : Nav Bags - Rotary

Dr_Mungo
29th Oct 2005, 09:53
Trying to get hold of a new Nav Bag for heli training. The bags we get issued are useless (designed for truckers maybe) and people use plain helmet bags instead. Not ideal.

At one point we could swap biccies for one at the squippers but the civie bosses soon found out and put a stop to that. These are the same guys who are "not contracted" to service my flying suit, and told me that the dry suit and boots i was issued at henlow have to be welded/joined when i get onto sqn. When i need one here i will get one from section spares so mine can collect dust.

Nothing against the squippers because their hands are tied but there must be someone, somewhere still making decent nav bags.

1st post :D

Chinny Crewman
29th Oct 2005, 10:09
Check your PMs Doc and enjoy Shrewsbury!!!

serf
29th Oct 2005, 10:15
i use a soft laptop case, easy to organise maps & flips.

diginagain
29th Oct 2005, 11:12
I used the US military helmet bag, with a carabiner to secure it to a convenient rail at the rear of the centre console. Much better than the issued 'case, carrying, navigation'.

zedder
29th Oct 2005, 12:31
Don't waste your time trying to get hold of a Nav Bag. Since the IPT at Wyton decided to save money by changing the supplier, they are crap. In the old days the handle was attached to the bag by a metal bracket. These days the handle is attached by a plastic/fabric loop. Guess what, this breaks when the bag has too much weight in it. Too much weight seems to occur when the bag is about half full. I'm on my 3rd one in a year.

So yet another great money-saving scheme on behalf of the RAF. Buy Nav Bags at half the cost, but get through over twice as many!!

I did raise a Threads form in stores though and apparently the IPT are on the case. So once we've got through the next 10 years stock (which might take about 3 years!) we might get decent bags again.

heights good
29th Oct 2005, 13:29
This should be a good place too start, this is similar too the nav bag i have. 3yrs on its still in great condition and used every day.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Helmet-Bag-Military-Pilot-Padded-Aviation-Flight-Gear_W0QQitemZ6572284962QQcategoryZ74712QQssPageNameZWD2VQQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

diginagain
29th Oct 2005, 13:31
heights good,

link doesn't.

Black 'n Yellar
29th Oct 2005, 16:54
Dr M
Try www.flyboys.com. Although the address looks dodgy it is a US website that has some pretty good gear. It isn't too expensive to get it shipped to the UK.

ShyTorque
29th Oct 2005, 19:55
So the brand new and still unused, old style one I bought nearly 12 yrs ago has finally become a collector's item?

Yeeha! So - will it be Sotheby's or Ebay? :E

Pilot Pacifier
29th Oct 2005, 20:02
There is a chap at Odiham on 18 Sqn who sells the American style helmet bags.

PM me for more info or call Ops during the day and I'm sure that they will point you in the right direction.

PP

southside
30th Oct 2005, 10:17
Sadly the bag I was issued with in 1983 is still servicable.

Pontius Navigator
30th Oct 2005, 17:00
No one has addressed the question about flying with non-standard kit. What would the BOI make of the use of an airline briefcase or a laptop case?

If you nav bag does the dirty deed then you are in the clear. If it fell to bits and you could not get a replacement (documented) it would all go in the BOI findings.

I mean, what would happen in the unlikely event of an aircraft digging its nose-wheel in soft mud and coming to a sudden halt. Then with everything sliding forward the pilot applies power and makes a rapid climb to 800 feet before pitching to 50 deg nose down. :D

southside
31st Oct 2005, 13:08
I mean, what would happen in the unlikely event of an aircraft digging its nose-wheel in soft mud and coming to a sudden halt. Then with everything sliding forward the pilot applies power and makes a rapid climb to 800 feet before pitching to 50 deg nose down .....

Thats just fantasy......and as well as that, if that did happen the pilot would definately NOT raise the undercarriage....Nah, never happen that........

Huron Topp
1st Nov 2005, 01:31
Looking at all the prices around, bet I could get the Mrs. to make exact copies for under 25-30 GBP. Any takers?:ok:

southside
1st Nov 2005, 13:16
Has she got any examples of her work? Im interested.

Huron Topp
1st Nov 2005, 16:53
Pictures? Nope. However, anything I need, she makes. And we're not even Scottish.:E

Made me a helmet bag, pubs bag, mk3 jacket etc. Give her an idea and she'll run with it.

Anyone got a piccy of the bag in question? If we're talking the blue "briefcase" type thingy, I know the basics, but a pic would be ideal.

last third
2nd Nov 2005, 03:32
Pontius,

I think the point is members are using non standard kit because the bluntys in LOG COMD will not listen to the requests for the system to provide the appropriate equipment.

As for running off the RWY due to a nav bag (lap top case) fouling the controls, this is simply a bunch of shyte. The system provides carabinas and other safety fastening devices, documents can be carried in flying suit pockets or placed in checklist strapped to your knee etc.

When all else fails, get a conversion onto a machine that has decent map pockets or Navs and Loadies to hold your gear.

:E Key point is make the system provide the appropriate equipment DON'T USE WORK AROUND SOLUTIONS!!!!

Lasty

:p

greenhaven
2nd Nov 2005, 12:33
Homebase toolbag (small) = £8.99

Anti-slide mechanism (Vecro strap & carabiner to attach to seat hardpoint, thank you SE Section)

- Job Done :D

Highlighted at Trappers visit - as long as it is not able to move freely around cockpit in event of crash/ditching (no loose articles), they're happy. Echo sentiments about a decent navbag being supplied to us FOC though...

farmer113
2nd Nov 2005, 15:31
from all the replys you've had surely anything will do depending on your personal opinion.

but i've known nav bags being called fast jet hand bags.... the answer is in the question, go bickie up the squippers at a fj place on your next land away? and their just a bit too small for the ideal, but you can just about ram them in the butty box in hawk. so i'd get something bigger, i like the laptop idea, if you've got room in the chopper.

sorry to hear the analness of shawbury... hope it doen't spread.