PDA

View Full Version : qantas cadet flight test

zulubravo
28th Oct 2005, 20:10
Hello, i've done a search for any info on the qantas level 2 cadet flight test but found little of interest. Just wandering if anyone who has done the flight test in the last few years would be able to answer the following questions. A reply, PM of email would be great.

1. What is involved with the ground component?
2. Who does the tests? What are they like? Do the intentionally try to be bastards as i have heard?
3. How long did it go for?
4. How in depth are the testing officer's questions?

I have heard some very nasty stories about the flight test but these happened many years ago. eg. The testing officer was a bloody nice guy on the ground, as soon as they got in the aircraft he turned into a bloody bastard (swearing, yelling etc).

ps. i have already read the cadet info page.

Cheers

DeBurcs
29th Oct 2005, 02:43
in the aircraft he turned into a ... bastard ... swearing, yelling etcMaybe they want to simulate the actual conditions you'll be operating under with some of the old cadet captains on the -400...

namate
31st Oct 2005, 07:47
1. Everything is the same as a CPL test. Know your fuel and endurance as you will get asked.
2. There are currently two blokes who arent employed by QF who do the testing. They are not too bad, make you feel pretty bad at the end of the flight but be honest when they ask how you think you went and he will give very constructive criticism. They dont intentionally try to be bastards they just sit quietly for most of the flight
3. Goes for at least 3 hours
4. Quite tricky especially the weather related questions. Know about density height and performance stuff.

Very similar to a CPL test but dont need to give a pax briefing. Be professional and confident and you should be fine.

Hope this helps!

zulubravo
1st Nov 2005, 04:34
Thanks namate that's very helpful.

In the ground component do they ask about the cpl KDRs aswell?

zb

Puchatek
1st Nov 2005, 07:36
In the ground component do they ask about the cpl KDRs aswell?

zulubravo, according to the info I received no they don't, but I guess they can ask anything they wish so I would brush up on them anyhow......

namate
1st Nov 2005, 12:26
ZB,

No KDR's were not asked, dont bring them to the test!

Mostly questions about weather forecasts, density height, weight restrictions and a general talk about your history. It goes pretty quickly about 45mins-1 hour. Make sure you know how much fuel you need, how much you have, how many nm the trip is, what your reserve quantities are etc without having to look at your flight plan when he asks. They may give you less then an hour prep time as well so try to have some things done before you get your route.