PDA

View Full Version : How important are A'levels

philip2004uk
28th Oct 2005, 19:48
I want to self study up to flight instructor and then move onto applying to airlines in about 3 years but if i do all that and only have an e in maths and d in english double c in science all only at gcse will they look at that. as some big airilines on their job requirement don't mention it.

philip2004uk
28th Oct 2005, 20:18
Thanks for the reply, i'll try and just get as much flying exp as poss.:D

scroggs
29th Oct 2005, 12:58
Academic qualifications are important if you wish to apply for one of the airline-associated self-sponsored schemes run by OAT, CTC et al, and may be of some interest to airlines if you are a recent school-leaver and are applying for direct entry*. As you age and your experience (of both flying and life) increases, educational qualifications assume an ever-smaller importance.

*Up to now, airlines have been pretty much totally uninterested in academic qualifications for direct entry pilots, but there is some evidence to suggest that some airlines are about to take a little more interest, with one or two even talking about requiring degrees at some unspecified time in the future. However, at a time when jobs are plentiful and high-quality candidates less so, this seems a strange moment to talk about raising the bar! So I would take this one with a pinch of salt, for now.

Scroggs