PDA

View Full Version : RAF Tartan

Postman Plod
28th Oct 2005, 13:47
Throwaway question for a Friday afternoon, but can anyone tell me what uniforms the RAF tartan can be worn with, and whether there are any dress regs on it? Fancied doing something different for this years Christmas bash, but dont have access to such information!

Hope you can help!

An Teallach
28th Oct 2005, 13:51
AFAIK only pipers' and drummers uniforms and maybe one RAuxAF Regt Sqn with No 5's.

Used to pay SRAFONI 1 x bottle of Bollie per dinner night to wear the garb as it was much more comfy, but AFB high heid yins eventually took the hump and stopped jocks wearing kilts with No 5s.

PS: Top Tip - NEVER play mess rugby in a kilt if Rock Officers are involved. They will find a way of making you let go of the ball! :uhoh:

rej
28th Oct 2005, 14:25
Why not have a cummerbund made out of RAF tartan to wear with your DJ and No 5s?

Safeware
28th Oct 2005, 19:11
Why not have a cummerbund made out of RAF tartan to wear with your DJ and No 5s? Already been done at Scotland's finest fighter station.... for the Stn Tartan.

sw
[edited to be more specific]

Duncan D'Sorderlee
28th Oct 2005, 19:44
I believe that members of the RAuxAF, or those attached to them, can wear the Douglas tartan with No5. I do not think that there is a RAF tartan, at least not officially.

This is promulgated regularly in SRO (I think!)

Duncan

Charlie Luncher
28th Oct 2005, 23:46
Dudes
Do any of you have a link to or hi-res piccy of the RAF Tartan, for an old chappie in the colonies.
Charlie sends

tug3
28th Oct 2005, 23:57
Here you go..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force

Look way down the page under "See Also" to find...

Also, http://www.kamrafa.co.uk/html/some_of_our_members.html

Rgds
T3

buoy15
29th Oct 2005, 02:09
There are quite a few Tartans non Scots can wear without causing offence as a result of the Highland Clearances and the Almagamation of the Scottish Regiments since 1659

Notably, MacKenzie, Seaforth Highlanders, MacDonald and Campbells

You are not allowed to wear the Royal Stuart unless you have permission from HM or you are a pretender to the throne like Charlie Boy!

I am in the process of reproducing a Tartan from a defunct Clan called MacGoppinn

It is a countryfied and lesser fighting tartan which involves lots of pinks, blues, greens and flourescant orange ( Health & Safety) but should stand out at the Highland Games in Ardermuichiar next July

beefybayonet
29th Oct 2005, 08:46
The background to the RAuxAF tartan is that in 1936 King Edward VIII granted authority for the Officers of Scottish Auxiliary Air Force Units (I believe 602,603 and 612 Sqns) to wear the Grey Douglas tartan kilt with their Mess Dress.

These days I belive it's local policy for the Grey Douglas to be worn at Scottish RAuxAF functions if an individual wishes, but anything more formal, or further afield, i.e. out of Scotland, and it's back into No.5 uniform proper.

timex
29th Oct 2005, 09:07
There are quite a few Tartans non Scots can wear without causing offence as a result of the Highland Clearances and the Almagamation of the Scottish Regiments since 1659 Highland Clearances

Thought that that alone would cause offence.??

Postman Plod
29th Oct 2005, 09:10
I do seem to recall a bit thing about the RAF Tartan at the Edinburgh Tattoo this year - cant remember if it was in RAF News or.. umm.. Air Cadet :O and I know it was the pipe band wearing it, but was hoping they'd be relaxing regs on the wearing of it. Ah well, cummerbund it is, and a damn good idea too! I'm not limited to RAF tartan though am I? I mean could I use my own??

Crashed&Burned
29th Oct 2005, 09:20
Isn't it strange that the Army and the Navy allow officers of Scottish and Irish descent to wear kilts with mess dress while the RAF, the most junior but most conservative of the services, does not?

I think their Airships should be much less anally retentive on this and other areas.

What's the general view?

C&B

An Teallach
29th Oct 2005, 13:54
There are quite a few Tartans non Scots can wear without causing offence

Other than making and selling products in registered and copyrighted tartans, anyone can wear any tartan they like.

The only current 'spat' I know of is between the Prince of Wales and Godfrey Macdonald, Lord Macdonald of Macdonald over the wearing of the Macdonald Lord of the Isles tartan as HRH holds the title of Lord of the Isles but the tartan was commissioned for Godfrey's family and is private property. That and perhaps the spat between Burberry and the united forces of Chavdom!

In truth, most 'clan tartans' were an invention of the Sobieski-Stuarts during the 19th century romantic Scottish revival. Prior to that associations were made with an area depending on local availability of plant dyes. Hence, as families were territorial, a family association developed.

A fair few, like the Red Fraser were commissioned for liveries in slave plantations. The lurid Red Fraser was asked for to make escaped slaves easier to hunt down.

From such delightful practices the KKK developed and the fiery cross, previously carried from glen to glen to call out the clan in time of strife, acquired a far more sinister usage.

I'm sure if you were to go down the High Street in Edinburgh, go into the shops and tell them your name was Slibowitz-Ndogo, they would find and sell you a family tartan or at least a tenuous association with a traditional family tartan which entitles you to wear it!

Here endeth the AT pub quiz-style useless information lesson for today.

buoy15
29th Oct 2005, 23:22
Timex

Result of Culloden and recent Council decisions

Needed the land to develope Inverness, which is the most rapidly expanding City in Europe

Right now houses can't be built fast enough because they are short of tradesmen

Moral of this story

Get yourself a Joiner, Plumber or Sparky Certificate and move up here - You will be very many quids in before you know it

Mk4A Simulator project at ISK 2 years ago - Robertsons, Prime Contractor, advertised for bricklayers - lad from Liverpool came up for interview - asked how much he expected - £80 per hour!
Your hired, can you start today - He did - Serious Sh*t