PDA

View Full Version : Smoking in the Messes

TheBeeKeeper
27th Oct 2005, 08:09
Our mess was all ready to implement a complete ban on smoking in Public rooms, now that the Government have back-tracked slightly, what will that mean to the Messes?

TBK

Bluntend
27th Oct 2005, 08:16
I'm sure Messes will be considered under the same rules as Private Members Clubs.

bowly
27th Oct 2005, 09:28
It's actually the decision of the Stn Cdr. If he wants to ban smoking he can. In fact, I remember a Mess Meeting a few years ago where smoking in the bar was discussed. After lengthy, and heated discussions, it was decided by the MAJORITY of Mess Members that smoking should continue in the bar. However, at the end of the meeting, the Staish stood up and said that although the Mess had voted as such, he was in charge and he had a duty of care for the bar staff; therefore he over-ruled the decision and smoking was banned in the main bar area and smokers had to huddle down the end under the extractor fan.

Washington_Irving
27th Oct 2005, 10:05
Things might get a little complicated by the fact that the Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly have devolved powers in this area. I'm not sure what the Porridge-Wogs are up to, but for those at Valley and the 1/2 a dozen or so that are still at St Athan it looks like a blanket ban will be implemented, i.e. no exemptions for private clubs.

Jackonicko
27th Oct 2005, 10:25
Now then!

It's hardly PC to call our Jockistani friends 'Porridge Wogs', is it?

:ok: :ok: :ok:

A Sayers
27th Oct 2005, 10:41
Kinloss mess is non smoking except for the scruffs bar.
And excellent it is too.:ok:

An Teallach
27th Oct 2005, 10:42
Sadly our porridge-wog health fascists are going for the total ban, starting Mar 06. How the hell we're meant to raise the taxes to pay the £0.5Bn cost of their hoose is beyond me!

Watch the cost of a pint rise as pubs pay the calor gas bill for all these patio heaters. Global warming? Yeah, lets heat all the beer gardens and leave punters with radiation burns down one side of their bodies and freezing their nuts off on the other!

But it worked in Ireland ... They're between 2 and 8 degrees South of God's own country! Try having a fag outside the Clachaig (Glencoe) in February you overpaid, taxi-hogging, MSP :mad:.

Personally, I'd have preferred to see smoking bars and non-smoking bars, let the market choose. Then staff who smoke can work in smoking bars and staff who don't can work in non-smoking bars. Bloody NuLabour :mad: !

And .... relaaaax!

teeteringhead
27th Oct 2005, 11:58
the 1/2 a dozen or so that are still at St Athan .... about 600 and something in light blue at EGDX last time I counted .......

Green Flash
27th Oct 2005, 12:22
An T mentioned the Clachaig. Now, that is a bar, that is! After half a bottle of Oban and a few pints of West Highland Severe (showing my age!) a February night becomes entirely painless!:} :ok: :D

An Teallach
27th Oct 2005, 13:09
West Highland Severe

GF: That's too old a pint even for this old fart! Enjoyed a fine afternoon session on the Fraoch (heather ale) at the Clachie (http://www.clachaig.com/) back in June with 2 Welsh cousins, it's still a damned good howff. :ok:

stiknruda
27th Oct 2005, 15:15
Judging by the bottom foto in An T's link, Michael Jackson likes to write to little boys from the Clachie!

Stik

An Teallach
27th Oct 2005, 18:17
Good one, Stik! I hadn't noticed that.

That'll be his sunday nose he's got on for to have his photie took!

Can't have been bedtime yet - the big hand hadn't quite touched the little hand. :uhoh:

althenick
27th Oct 2005, 20:24
porridge-wog health fascists

A T

Our Country has the highest incidence of coronarys in Europe - we need all the help we can get

Yo Fascism

Al