PDA

View Full Version : Old Programs

Maxflyer
25th Oct 2005, 14:02
I have two or three programs that I want to delete. They show up in Add/Remove programs, but for various reasons (mainly missing files) they won't go away. I did a search and found a link to some freeware, but the link doesn't work anymore. Can anyone offer a solution.

many thanks

Maxflyuer.

Coconutty
25th Oct 2005, 14:11
Advice :

Assuming the software is all "legit" and not copied / downloaded etc : Re-install the software - this will replace the missing files needed for the uninstall.

Restart computer, use Add / Remove programs to remove program.

If you no longer have the software for (re)-installation, make a mental note not to do the same in the future and keep it until you have uninstalled it from your PC !

:ok:

Maxflyer
25th Oct 2005, 14:20
Yes the software is legit and no I don't have the disks as they were downloaded program files.

So I take it from your post that I am stuck with these items?

25th Oct 2005, 18:16
I can also recommend crap cleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/). It literally does what its name suggests and will weed out all the old left overs of programmes long un-installed.

Maxflyer
25th Oct 2005, 18:37
The worst culprit is a microsoft program that i downloaded on a free trial called One Note. I've tried reinstalling but it won't even let me do that without it saying that the patch won't work? It's not a patch, it's the full program. Everytime I open Excel it tells me to find a One Note file otherwise i can't have the full functionality of the program!!!

25th Oct 2005, 19:23
Is this the same One Note ? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=34DB1E44-1D31-4137-BFA5-CA755D4C7A71&displaylang=en)
Maybe you could try and update it.

Maxflyer
27th Oct 2005, 14:48
No that didn't work either. The damned thing obviously likes my company and wants to stay close to me!

shuttlebus
27th Oct 2005, 19:57
Maxflyer,

You can delete the entries in Add/Remove programs using Tweakui.

Then delete the relevant program folders in Program Files (or wherever you installed them, although it sounds like this may already be the case).

Then (and this is hardcore - not to be attempted by the faint-hearted and may cause you machine to crash and require a re-install :-( run regedit.

Start>run then type regedit and press OK

Then scroll down to HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE (or similar) and under SOFTWARE you will find entries for the software. Delete these "keys" from the registry.

Done.

Please be very careful if using regedit as it can seriously screw your machine. All the PC magazines recommend you back-up your PC before attempting this, but like all PC users, you have done this already, haven't you ;)

Hope this works.

Regards,

Shuttlebus

P.S. 2nd post tonight... thinks I need to get a life :cool:

___
Edited for spilling