PDA

View Full Version : NAC October 2006

rziola
24th Oct 2005, 14:08
Chaps,

Will sign up for the NAC Career Program for October 2006, anyone here perhaps planning to sign up ? Looking to share apartment or ideas ? PM Me

toomuchradiations
27th Oct 2005, 05:36
Hi!....i was planning to go to Naples air center in Naples,florida and maybe u could help me by telling me how to reach it from the nearest "suitable" airport....i'll be coming from Europe and the choice is to fly to Miami or Fort Myers or Orlando.....how can u reach NAC from these airports?...is there any sort of BUS connection or there are NO BUS at all and the only way to get there is to hire a car or to fly to the airport itself??

i'm planning to go there in a month to do some SE hours and enjoy the place!!...

thanks very much,

tmr

rziola
27th Oct 2005, 07:55
Check out the web page, it has all the answers for you under the given title http://naples-air-center.com/student_information.htm

Charlie Zulu
27th Oct 2005, 09:00
The best airport to end up at would be Naples itself. Delta Connection fly from Atlanta to Naples a few times a day.

However this is quite expensive so the next best airport is Fort Myers and is only 30 miles up the road. I'm not sure about transportation links but a taxi wouldn't cost too much.

Arriving at Miami then there is a Bus service from Miami Airport (just outside the airport) to Naples. As there is a gap in services between 15:30 and 22:30 you may have a long wait as these times aren't really suitable for European arrivals.

If you are going to use the Greyhound Bus Service from Miami to Naples then you'll probably be getting the 22:30 bus from Miami. You will arrive at Naples around three hours later and the bus drops you off at the bus "terminal" which is around a mile away down Davis Blvd from Wellesley Inn.

The bus costs around $50 return, which is a bargain!

I have used the bus on a few occassions but this year we hired a car... it was so much easier and quicker.

Orlando would need to be a car as it would take an age to get to Naples via bus, if it was possible at all!

One suggestion though... if you are gong to Miami and using the bus then don't get the taxi to the greyhound bus terminal until about an hour before... the taxi will cost about $10. Let me just say that the bus depot isn't the nicest in the world.

toomuchradiations
27th Oct 2005, 10:30
thanks very much for the great info rziola!...and charlie zulu u were just extraordinary!!....thanks a lot to all of u .........
another question then....im going to NAC to do some Single engine flights on a warrior...(i got a fATPL-CAA_uk)...do u think it's difficult to get a "safety pilot or instructor to show me the aerea" as NAC might allocate most of them to their full time students??....how about their warriors?....are they always busy or u can also find them sometimes on the ramp and use them without having to book them days in advance??

many thanks!

tmr

Charlie Zulu
27th Oct 2005, 13:31
No problem at all.

Your instructor who will be checking you out will show you the local area and procedures to use.

You will also have an hour or two of ground school which the instructor will use to go through airspace, charts, weather minimums.

The checkout will be signed off as a BFR in your logbook if you haven't had a BFR or FAA checkride within the past two years.

Don't forget to start the verification process with the FAA and CAA at leat a month or two in advance. This is required to be issued an FAA PPL under FAR Part 61.75 (based on your JAA CPL/IR). It will be limited to VFR privilages only unless you take the FAA Instrument Foriegn Pilot written exam (see FAR Part 61.75).

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=175&pagetype=87&groupid=612
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/

As for aircraft availability, you will find the warriors will be busy so if you would like an aircraft to tour around then book your slots before you go... don't forget the four hour daily rental minimum if you are going to take an aircraft away for a whole day.

But saying this the warriors aren't as busy as the cessna's... most people do the ppl on cessna's so the warrior aircraft are usually used for instrument ratings and commercials (before going onto the complex). I wouldn't take the chance on availability though.

Hope this helps.

Charlie Zulu.

smith
27th Oct 2005, 16:26
If flying into Ft Myers, I would rent a car for a day and drop it off at Naples, it is about the same price or less than a taxi from RSW to APF and you get the use of it to find your way around for 24hrs.

toomuchradiations
27th Oct 2005, 17:23
thanks charlie zulu and thanks smith , very much appreciated!!

tmr