PDA

View Full Version : SA CAA CPL to JAR conversion

dimitridj
24th Oct 2005, 13:06
Hello,

Does anyone knows the easyiest (cheapest) way to convert a South African CAA CPL licence to a JAA CPL?

Thanks,

Dimitri

porridge
25th Oct 2005, 06:29
Hi dimitridj
Check your PM's
Regards, P

lookoutbelow
25th Oct 2005, 11:32
Hi Dimitridj,

Check out the thread on SA flight training in this forumn running at present. I posted a long post reference the conversion of SA comm licenses to JAR and vice versa.

Regards

LOB

south coast
25th Oct 2005, 17:27
hi dimitri

i did it, and, although i am not sure of your intentions, but i would think it better for you to do the jar atpl exams.

then you would do the cpl and instrument flight tests, and end up with a frozen atpl, unfrozen as soon as you gain a multi pilot type rating and 500 hours multi crew.

not like sa where you have to do cpl exams before atpl.

hope that helps a little...

dimitridj
26th Oct 2005, 22:17
Hi all,

First thank you all for your kind reply´s!!

My intentions are to gain a JAA atpl butt first get my ppl cpl IR ME in South Africa couse of price,hours and simpy couse I like the country..
The next step is to built hours in Africa 1500 or so and then do the conversion in the UK or something. Does anyone has experience with this?
I heard the conversion costs around 5000 Euro?

Thanks again..

Dimitri

south coast
28th Oct 2005, 10:28
dimitridj...

i did the sa cpl me/ir and then worked for contract companies for 5 years almost. i spent time in the congo flying king air 200's and then in algeria on 1900.

i left there and have recently returned to the uk and have a job here now, but i had to do all 14 atpl exams and then the cpl and instrument flight tests, and i can assure you it is a little more than the euro5000 you metioned, try doubling it and adding a bit for good luck...if you do it in the uk that is.

the other problem you will have if you want to fly in sa, do you have a work permit or a sa passport?

if not, you will struggle to get work there and there are huge numbers of south african low time pilots struggling to find work too..!

dont think it is quite as easy as just turning up there and finding work, seems many people from the uk/europe think it is easy...it is not!

dimitridj
28th Oct 2005, 12:32
Hey South coast,

I,ve the same plan as you and I know that its difficult or more likely impossible to find a job in SA, without a permit that is..
Butt my plan is to juts drive north and try to find a job somewhere between SA and Marokko )...
How where your experiences overall? Do you have a address of the company in Congo and was it easy to find a job there?

Dimitridj

Ibanez
30th Oct 2005, 08:02
dimitridj,

Check this post (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166375&perpage=20&pagenumber=3) if you want to find out exactly what it cost me - a bit more than EUR5000 :{ . I flew the minimum required hours and tried to follow the cheapest route.

Hope that helps.

south coast
30th Oct 2005, 10:02
i worked for a south african company that had contracts with the UN in the congo...thats basically how it works- all the UN and Red cross / aid flying is contracted out to companies, and because south africa can provide a 2nd world standard at 3 rd world prices then the UN awards south african operators these contracts.

thats who you will need to work for...

be warned, it is not as easy as it sounds, but the only way to get such a job is to turn up there and speak to the people face to face...no point emailing or phoning.