PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizers --ya gotta love 'em

Serendipity7
24th Oct 2005, 02:43
RE: Software that makes a difference::

I made a very interesting discovery.

I had "corrupted fonts" on my machine. I bought a copy of Extensis' Font Reserve. [Acutally that is the eaiser program, I made a mistake and got Suitcase and had to get Font Doctor as an additional download.] So I'm Recommending Font Reserve as the eaisier option --I read about this in PC Computing Magazine.

At any rate, Font Doctor "fixed" my fonts: There were 3 that were named " " :( and they seem to have been mapped onto the other fonts in the machine (bad table data).

After the somewhat lengthy diagnosis (20 minutes for a very basic computer) all fonts were restored to "correct parameters" the odd lot was moved to a separate folder (sequestered I presume) and hopefully the whole computer is much happier!

Hope this helps:
/S

Following is the report of the Font Doctor::
Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 12:38:21 PM

The diagnosis started at C:
A total of 177 Font Files were examined-

3 Bitmap fonts were examined
3 PostScript Type 1 fonts were examined
5 OpenType fonts were examined
166 PC TrueType fonts were examined

Diagnosis Results-

* These fonts were diagnosed with bad table data-

... long list here ....

* These bitmap fonts were diagnosed as missing their PostScript fonts-

- The font was moved.

- The font was moved.

- The font was moved.

A total of 109 problems were diagnosed.

3 fonts were moved.
106 fonts were fixed.

~~Happy computing:)

FYI another program that I really appreciate is Black Ice Defender: An awesome firewall, which also allows me to see and turn off "any" of the processes running on my computer.

[Having upped to XP - SP2, that is a very redundant list and it takes some time to go through the entirety (--does have find).]

WARNING::

If you turn off something that is essential to the OS and then turn off the machine, "you will not be able to reboot", so caution is in order. You would have to reload from the beginning, and lose all data on the machine. Before you turn something off, be certain to check with the OS provider if the DLL or named process is vital. (Driver Signing helps alot).

Hope this helps:

;)