PDA

View Full Version : Crashed Me 109 on Exmoor

Centralize
22nd Oct 2005, 21:53
I recently flew over a crashed Me 109 (think it was a G model!) on Exmoor, about 5 miles due north of Tiverton. It seems in fairly good nick considering, albeit minus its tail. Anyone know any history behind it??

Onan the Clumsy
23rd Oct 2005, 03:40
doesn't that make it a Bf 109 then? :8

JDK
23rd Oct 2005, 08:26
Unless you were in a 65 year timewarp Centralise, I'd place a bet that it certainly wasn't an un-atended un-owned Messerescmitt 109, they're quite collectable these days old chap!

As to what is really was I couldn't hazard a guess.

Regarding the name, don't get too clever too early Onan. See here (http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/index800.htm) under 'Articles' - 'Bf / Me'.

Every so often, a verbal skirmish will break out over this seemingly contentious issue... "It's Bf 109!" "No, it's Me 109!" "Bf!" "Me!!" Frequently, this degenerates into name-calling, questioning of parentage, gnashing of teeth, and other such impolite and unproductive activities. Well, today we will conclusively lay this dispute to rest once and for all...

Both terms are correct.

Check the article before we get onto parantage.

EGTE
23rd Oct 2005, 22:30
It's a replica built for a film (The Land Girls) and has been there since around 1998.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
23rd Oct 2005, 22:32
Blimey, you must have been low to tell the difference between and E model and a G model!!:ok:

Beeayeate
23rd Oct 2005, 22:44
Blimey, you must have been low to tell the difference between and E model and a G model!

Not necessarily. A "G" has rounded wing tips an "E" . . er . . doesn't.

:ok:

Onan the Clumsy
24th Oct 2005, 00:27
I thought a G had the round bits on the side of the fuselage.

Blimey, you must have been low to recognise it was a 109 (Bf OR Me :p )

JDK
24th Oct 2005, 00:32
Wingtips.
More accurate to say up to Emil was square tipped wings, from [Ed to say Frederick, not Gustav - must learn alphabet...] onwards was rounded.

Of course, just to make it fun, the Hispano Buchon (Spanish built 109 film star, was a 'G' type airframe with the merlin engine, as is well known from the 'Battle of Britain' film onwards) has, as you'd expect, 109G rounded tips.

For that 'Battle of Britain' the tips were clipped to make them look more 'E'ish, but not as far in as a real 'E' had. So what? Well, a lot of '109s' around today are converted Buchons, including at least one in the USA which was parly reconfigured to 'E' standard, but retaining the BoB film tips. Also, the Buchon in the Kalamazoo museum is an ex-BoB film star, so despite an accurate Spanish scheme still has the clipped tips and other BoB film make-up...

'Chuffer' Dandridge
24th Oct 2005, 12:00
B(I)8,

Ok smartypants, it COULD have been an F model then! Them's got roundy tips too I think:ok:

Centralize
24th Oct 2005, 20:18
EGTE - Thanks for the info. I identified the type from the rounded spinner... It is very convincing from the height I saw it - fooled a lot of military flyers.....