PDA

View Full Version : Time to go, need to change the colour of blue

Line_book
21st Oct 2005, 19:42
It would appear my time in the AAc is rapidly nearing its end. As some have done before me I feel the draw of a mind numbing SO3 job behind a desk, polishing someone elses career is not for me, and it is time to investigate new avenues. It seems that in the AAC, as an officer, it is just when you start to become a competent aviator, you are moved on from flying to fly a desk.
I am dreading the thought and would be most interested to hear from anyone with any advice on transferring, in order to continue a flying career. I know the grass isnt always greener on the other side, but frankly it is positively brown on this side right now.

Wyler
22nd Oct 2005, 15:29
You will obviously have all the skills necessary but the dress standards in the Army will let you down.
If you want to join the RAF as aircrew, you need to do the following:

1. Jump up and down on your hat until it completely loses its shape.
2. Get a flying suit at least 2 sizes too big.
3. Rip all the knee pockets off.
4. Wear anything but the regulation T-shirt underneath. The louder the colour, the better.
5. When you are issued your working blues, throw them in the bin as soon as you have signed for them.
6. Wait until you are about to power down the runway before putting your reading glasses on.

Line_book
22nd Oct 2005, 20:29
I hear you there Wyler! I think we have all seen those to whom you refer, mincing around BAS, haunting the 'Toucan Bar' in desert flying suits they cant fly in, but despite that I have to admit that if you ignore that, the structure supports and clearly defines the main effort. Dark Blue seems to be a good compromise, but cruising around in the ageing Sea King would take some getting used to!